Steve's new Specialized Allez

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd fancied an Allez for a while now. So, when Evans decided to knock the price of the Allez Sport Triple 2010 down from £629 to £429 I couldn't help myself, and ordered one.

I ordered it on the 26th December and it arrived with HDNL on the 30th. I did actually miss HDNL but I rang the depot and the lady said they would try and deliver it again that day if they had time. Anyway, it came an hour later. And that is from a company who have a pretty bad reputation on the internet.

It was all built up in the box, just had to rotate the handlebars. Evans did include some plastic pedals with toeclips, but I took the SPD pedals off my hybrid bike and used those instead. A multi tool and a pedal spanner were included.

I had to adjust the indexing of the rear gears slightly and had to tighten up the cable going to the front derailer as the chain was catching against the cage, but after that, it was fine.

So far, I have only done 6 miles on it, and that was to go to the bike shop to buy a Topeak Joe Blow pump. So on the return journey, I had a big yellow thing sticking out of my rucksack :whistle: . The new pump works well.

I don't have any other road bikes to compare it to, but so far it seems really nice. I can lift it with one finger. The ride was about as smooth as you can get on Rotherham's pot hole covered roads. It accelerates quickly. The Sora brifters work nicely. Can't complain about them, not even the button which is in an odd place. The Tiagra rear derailer and Sora front derailer seem to work nicely. My only complaint is that the Sora brakes are no where near as powerful as the V-Brakes on my hybrid, but they do work fine.

It does feel a bit stretched out with my hands on the brake hoods (drops are fine), but that could just be down to me not being used to road bikes. I will use it more in due course and find out. 
Being the 2010 model it has mounts for a rack. I fitted my Tortec Expedition rack which was on my hybrid bike. Unfortunately though, the piece of metal which screws onto the frame near the brake, pushes the brake cable slightly and causes the brake to rub against the wheel. I may be able to sort this by adjusting the brake, but in the mean time I will leave it off.

So, from the very short rides I have had so far, I am very impressed. I will be going further in the coming weeks, if the weather is OK.

Pictures to follow :smile:.

Shrimp_Stu

Nice bike.

My first road bike was an Allez Sport - good bike. Hope you enjoy it as I did mine.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I fitted my Tortec Expedition rack which was on my hybrid bike. Unfortunately though, the piece of metal which screws onto the frame near the brake, pushes the brake cable slightly and causes the brake to rub against the wheel. I may be able to sort this by adjusting the brake, but in the mean time I will leave it off.

I had the same thing with my secteur and a ropeak rack, I had to bend the support up and over. If I had a vice I could have bent it so it was vertical passed the brake, but this was the easiest fix I could do with the tools available. You can see where I had maked out the bit with black ink that I was catching and I was going to dremel off.

8.jpg

9.jpg

andyfromotley

It does feel a bit stretched out with my hands on the brake hoods (drops are fine), but that could just be down to me not being used to road bikes. I will use it more in due course and find out.

My trustee allez which is 6 years old now is a simply marvelous bike. The only change i made was to have a shorter stem put on as i too felt 'stretched'. (i think it had an 1100mm one factory fitted, which i changed to a 800mm)

Never looked back

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
I put these KoolStop brake pads on the front Sora brakes. Works nicely. Didn't change the rear ones as I don't use the rear brakes much and I could only afford one pair at the moment. Currently using the dual compound ones which I also have on my Hybrid, but it includes a pair of Salmon pads as well.
http://www.dotbike.com/productsP5993.aspx

I have also used these Specialized Slim Shims in the STI levers as the reach to the levers was a bit too far, despite my big hands. They seem to work nicely.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/slim-shim-brake-lever-spacer-ec008424

It also has Crud RoadRacer MkII mudguards which work well.

I've just about got used to the more stretched out position, but I still think it needs a shorter stem, and I'm still fiddling with the saddle position.

But, its a really nice bike and I am having lots of fun with it. I even took it up the muddy canal path a couple of times  recently, and it did well, even if the tyres did have trouble gripping the mud  :biggrin:. It did need a good clean afterwards though, and I now have a big pile of mud on the garden.

Trickydicky

My trustee allez which is 6 years old now is a simply marvelous bike. The only change i made was to have a shorter stem put on as i too felt 'stretched'. (i think it had an 1100mm one factory fitted, which i changed to a 800mm)

Never looked back

That is a long stem!

Top Bottom