STI brakes and Tektro AL721 (suicide brakes) working together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
Hi all
the lad carnt get on with his new bike (first time drop handle bars). is it possible to fit Tektro AL721 brakes working along side the current STI brakes as i would like him to get used to the STI levers while having the backup of Tektro AL721 for a bit of confidence

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Basically they're cross-top levers. And yes, you should be able to do so: I've got the same setup on my cross bike as has my youngest.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes - it's what they're made for. If you're not familiar with taping bars and changing cables in STI levers, I'd either research it on YouTube or get the bike shop to fit them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Tektro AL721 (suicide brakes)
These are not 'suicide brakes'. As @DCLane says, they're cross-top levers.

See Sheldon (scroll down to Extension levers) "Extension levers [bolt-on extensions that allowed Weinmann-type brake levers to be operated from the tops and middle of the handlebars] are sometimes known as "safety levers." Since many people believe they actually reduce safety, the slang terms "death grips", "suicide levers" and "turkey wings" are occasionally substituted."

Last edited:

lpretro1

I should imagine that if you fit them, given what u have said about him not getting on with his stis, he will then just constantly use the cross-tops and never learn how to use his stis. If the lever position is well set he should be able to brake easily from the hoods. Perhaps his hands are small and he needs the brake lever adjusting to use it well? How old is he?

Top Bottom