Sticky FD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J_H1026

Morning everyone,

I commute year round on my Cannondale Synapse (the wife doesn't go in for the whole n+1 thing) which has an ultegra 6800 groupset installed (a mixture of 32 - 52 miles per day). I'm really struggling to get good performance from my FD. I'm having (getting the LBS) to install new cables way too often in my opinion just to be able to change chain rings with any kind of confidence and it usually isn't long before I'm getting chain rub when the FD doesn't reach the limit screw, followed by not moving up to the large chain ring. This results in me having to manually move the FD. I had a new cable fitted a couple of weeks ago which lasted 8 days or so before it started struggling (admittedly it was day 8 of 9 of LEJOG). I took it back to the LBS for them to adjust due to stretching, but the mechanic said I've got a sticky FD. I try to keep it clean, give it a good spray with WD-40 if I've ridden the bike in the wet but it's still sticking. Is there a way of 'refurbing' it or is it just giving it plenty of cleaning and WD-40?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have found it is best for me to be responsible for my own cable stretch. It isn’t a difficult task. I use the barrel adjusters initially and much further down the road maybe pull out a smidge of cable and rebolt. Though normally it’s time for me to change the cable inner and outer by then.

I also think WD40 is too thin. Clean the derailleur up completely and use a tiny blob of grease on the moving parts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Change the FD? They aren’t especially expensive when you consider the savings when you commute that far by bike? Maybe you could go lower down the food chain where parts are maybe less fragile?

My 6800 FD sticks as well. If you shift up and down, and it rubs the chain after the up shift ( it does, a lot ) use the cable barrel adjuster to move the mech away from the chain ( wind it clockwise to move the mech outwards) then you’ll probably have to move the brifter to get it to move to position ( as if you’re shifting up again ). They just seem to be a bad design. Every now and again you’ll need to shift to the small ring, wind the adjuster on the cable anti clockwise, as far as it will go, release the pinch bolt at the FD, pull the cable tight, retighten the pinch bolt, and have a play with the positioning, using the adjuster, and the brifter, until it sits right. It’s a bit annoying, but seems to be an issue with these Shimano FD’s.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Have you also checked that the little plastic skid plate ( slots on the inside of the cage on inner side) is still in place - it does affect the smoothness of the change on the 6800. If it is not there then you can buy then for £2.99 from SJS. They do drop off from time to time.
Also make sure you have routed the cable correctly around the pin - they are different to the 'old' 10spd versions

Levo-Lon

Guru
Change the FD? They aren’t especially expensive when you consider the savings when you commute that far by bike? Maybe you could go lower down the food chain where parts are maybe less fragile?

I'd do that too,they do wear and rust does the damage. Try a different mech

If too far gone, you'll need a new mech. My mate killed an XT mech in one winter of commuting by not spraying with WD40 or GT85 on a regular basis.
Terrible way to treat an xt. S/he was not worthy.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If too far gone, you'll need a new mech. My mate killed an XT mech in one winter of commuting by not spraying with WD40 or GT85 on a regular basis.
my FD on the nice bike at the time siezed over winter in storage, must have been some water/gunk that rusted over winter so i had to replace it and it was solid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can rescue them if you are prepared to put in some effort as they are quite simple bits of kit, but if its a lower spec one its more economical time wise to buy new.

OP
OP
J

J_H1026

Thanks for all the input, having started looking on ebay, you can pick up a new Ultegra 6800 front mech for about £10 - £20

Top Bottom