"Sticky" freehub followed by loss of drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pgd

Veteran
Morning,
I've just got into work mega-late after having to walk a mile back home, shower and run for the train. :angry:

For a while now my freehub's been intermittently "sticking" -- when I stop pedalling, the hub continues to revolve, taking the chain with it, which gets looser & looser until some aspect of the motion(?) forces it back into line with a loud noise. Although annoying, it didn't actually affect my riding -- and tbh I assumed it was the result of my derailleur being bent (I'm pretty sure it is, it's been knocked about several times by inattentive riders behind me, and it doesn;t look right to me) ... but this morning I lost drive completely -- the pedals just spin round & round ineffectually.

I had a similar loss-of-drive problem back in January and took it to my LBS (whom I also purchased the bike from in the first place, last summer) who replaced the entire wheel, which fixed the problem. But since it's now back again, does this suggest that (a) they didn't fix what was really wrong, (b) I'm doing something weird which is wearing out hubs really quickly, (c) coincidence, or (d) other? I'm assuming a bent derailleur has nothing to do with it.

Obviously it's going back to the LBS at the weekend, but was just interested to hear your thoughts.
Cheers.

(PS bike is a 2011 Sirrus Sport, btw)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sorry for the late reply but I believe your problem could be the hub brand. Did the wheel get replaced under warranty? From spending far too much time on this forum I am sure I have heard quite a few tales of Specialized bikes with their own brand rear hubs having trouble with crappy freehub bodies. If this was sorted as warranty the first time I would be straight back to the shop suggesting they sort this out properly with a better hub/wheel. If you have no joy with the shop then try taking it up with the UK Specialized importer.

gbb

Legendary Member
These issues with spesh hubs are becoming tediously regular...(or is it just me)...they really ought to sort them out. I won't even consider a Specialized for that reason.
Apologies to Spesh owners...JMO.

Edwards80

Über Member
This happened to me a while ago. The problem with mine was that gunk had filled up the pawls and prevented it from engaging occasionally. The bike shop sorted it out by cleaning it out and making sure it was sealed properly.

It came and went up until it just stopped engaging completely, much like yours. Obviously when I reached the shop the problem had vanished again, embarrassingly. Fortunately it returned just as the mechanic wheeled the bike away!

Top Bottom