Sticky Freewheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

I'm getting chain sag / suck when I stop pedaling or pedal backwards, makes a right mess of the chainstay.

Off the bike and gently turning the pedals backwards I can get the wheel to turn (occasionally).

The bikes less than year old but I did a very wet (biblical) ride and despite de-greasing / rel-lubing, its maybe still cacked up? Its also stored next to a radiator if that could make any difference?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

What is the make of the wheel?

U

User6179

Fulcrum with a Shimano cassette.

Cant remember the Fulcrum set up but if it is like Mavic the pawls can stick open causing the pedals to keep turning when free wheeling , you would need to give it a service , maybe fit new springs to the pawls if they are knackered .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sounds like you've sent it rusty inside, not by riding in the wet but by 'degreasing' it. You may get away with changing the bearing but a new freehub will be relatively cheap (no need to change the cassette as long as it isn't worn though)

I'm getting chain sag / suck when I stop pedaling or pedal backwards, makes a right mess of the chainstay.

Off the bike and gently turning the pedals backwards I can get the wheel to turn (occasionally).

The bikes less than year old but I did a very wet (biblical) ride and despite de-greasing / rel-lubing, its maybe still cacked up? Its also stored next to a radiator if that could make any difference?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
A sticky freewheel is typically an indication that your freewheel bearings are playing up. You can confirm this by testing it in your hands.

If you have the skill to spin the wheel whilst holding it with only one hand by the QR lever, do that. Otherwise, have someone hold the wheel at both axle ends and you spin it. The freewheel/cassette will now be turning with the wheel. Put your finger on the cassette to mimic a freewheel scenario. Without much resistance, the freewheel should stop turning and making its normal clicking sound. If there is any roughness or stutter at this point (feeling in your finger), the bearings need replacement. It is a press-fit cartridge bearing wheel. If you are skilled with changing pressfit bearings, do it. If not, take it to a bike shop.

Sharky

Guru
Cant remember the Fulcrum set up but if it is like Mavic the pawls can stick open causing the pedals to keep turning when free wheeling , you would need to give it a service , maybe fit new springs to the pawls if they are knackered .
Also had the "Mavic Growl" on my Askiums. Took the freehub off, cleaned it and applied light oil and it solved the problem.

albal

Guru
I have a similar problem but the freehub was brand new in February 2016. Does not stick when in large chainring though! It,s a mavic rim, campag cassette.

gbb

Legendary Member
if they're Fulcrum 5s they are very easy to get access to the pawls. 17mm spanner each side on the 'nuts', unscrew the free hub side and a short tube will come with it. Slide out the axle from the other side. Don't mix up the spacer tubes. Make sure they go back in the same order. The free hub will now just pull out exposing the pawls. Clean and light grease may be all they need, otherwise it could be bearings in the free hub itself as already said.
When reinserting the freehub you need to push the pawls in a bit manually and slightly twist the free hub to slide it in and engage.

U

User6179

Also had the "Mavic Growl" on my Askiums. Took the freehub off, cleaned it and applied light oil and it solved the problem.

I had the Mavic growl as well , I didn't put the Freehub back on all the way after I took it off to oil it , what a blinkin racket going down hill .

Top Bottom