Sticky problem. Are different brands of puncture kit cross-compatible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
I was starting to run out of patches so I bought a strip today to use with the vulcanising solution I already have. The patches are a different brand from the glue.

I've mixed and matched brands previously and don't recall having any issues with compatibility, but is it possible that one brand of glue would not work with a different brand of patch?

Anybody on here had any problems? Would you recommend sticking to the same brand throughout?

Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No problem!

I have never given any thought to it, and have happily used patches from one source and solution from another. In fact, I have just bought 2 big tubes of solution on eBay because I run out of that long before I run out of patches.

Have you tried self-adhesive patches? I used to carry a pack as an emergency back up to my tube. Found myself having to use one after giving my spare tube to a lady in distress. (Decathlon ones, before you ask.) Astonishingly good and trouble free as long as you do a good job of roughing up the tube before sticking. I have used up the Decathlon ones now and have tried the ones from Wilkos. Just as good.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Have you tried self-adhesive patches? I used to carry a pack as an emergency back up to my tube. Found myself having to use one after giving my spare tube to a lady in distress. (Decathlon ones, before you ask.) Astonishingly good and trouble free as long as you do a good job of roughing up the tube before sticking. I have used up the Decathlon ones now and have tried the ones from Wilkos. Just as good.

I was looking at the Scabs (I think they're called?) and was very nearly tempted, but I'm a bit rubbish at moving away from tried & tested methods when it comes to cycling stuff (I swapped from toe straps to SPD's a couple of years ago, and only after months of research and soul searching :rolleyes:).

I was looking at the Scabs (I think they're called?) and was very nearly tempted, but I'm a bit rubbish at moving away from tried & tested methods when it comes to cycling stuff (I swapped from toe straps to SPD's a couple of years ago, and only after months of research and soul searching :rolleyes:).
Me too, but I found that I was having a few too many fails with glue and patches, especially when working in a hurry or in the wet. I found myself throwing away tubes that had only one mend as I didn't trust them. Definitely a convert.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Me too, but I found that I was having a few too many fails with glue and patches, especially when working in a hurry or in the wet. I found myself throwing away tubes that had only one mend as I didn't trust them. Definitely a convert.

I must admit that getting glue to set properly when it's wet & cold is a problem. So you reckon scabs do away with that problem? Does the tube have to be completely dry for them to work?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So you reckon scabs do away with that problem? Does the tube have to be completely dry for them to work?
I tried using them in pouring rain once and had no luck!

I generally carry 2 or 3 spare tubes now plus a conventional puncture kit. A replacement tube is the first choice so I rarely have to fix punctures out on rides. I prefer to patch tubes back at home in the warm and dry.

shadow master

Glueless patches are excellent for lower pressure stuff max of 55psi,but scabs are not one of the good ones,one of the best are leeches

Glueless patches are excellent for lower pressure stuff max of 55psi,but scabs are not one of the good ones,one of the best are leeches

I am surprised to hear you say that. I have only been using self-adhesive for a few weeks but have had no problems with high pressure on my 23s. And I am talking 8 BAR plus as I am a big guy and like my tyres hard.

zacklaws

Guru
I buy my patches on Ebay from China. For just over a pound you get 48 patches and a tube of glue, Find them just as good as anything I have bought in England and far cheaper. For glue, I usually just pick up one of the small repair kits in Tesco or wilko's that they sell for a bout a pound as well.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Does the tube have to be completely dry for them to work?
Yup. The tube has to be prepared properly still, you just skip the apply glue/wait for it to dry step (ime).

Hastily applied patches (shine not taken off the rubber of the tube), or ones done in the rain don't last (again, ime)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yup. The tube has to be prepared properly still, you just skip the apply glue/wait for it to dry step (ime).

Hastily applied patches (shine not taken off the rubber of the tube), or ones done in the rain don't last (again, ime)

Agree - preparation is key for all types of patches.

Trying to get a patch to stick at the roadside in the rain is no easy task.

If ever there's a time to deploy the spare tube, that's it.

Top Bottom