Stiff Link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notmyrealnamebutclose

Bike has been running odd this week with the chain dancing and slipping momentarily thought hmm strange rd adjuster must need dialing in. Messed about with the barrel adjuster few days ago but made little difference. Finally found time today to have a closer look and checked the chain links for stiffness, found the culprit, a link was ridiculously stiff I spent ages on it flexing it like crazy, brusing paraffin on it spraying penetrating fluid on it which did loosen it up quite a bit but not entirely. Anyway had to go out and thought should be ok but no it still wasn't right so need to have another go at fixing it tomorrow.
Can't think what else to do to it exept maybe try to pop the rivet out and maybe get the file on it. Bit annoyed really as it is fairly new chain (shimano 7/8 sp) and has been pretty well maintained.

Chris S

Legendary Member
You don't need to completely remove the rivet. Just put the link in the chain splitter's first set of teeth and turn the handle about 1/3 of a turn. This will be enough to losen the link.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Are you flexing it sideways? That's the way to loosen a stiff link. Otherwise, use your chain tool in the 'easing' position - prongs in the middle of the links - but go very easy.

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

You don't need to completely remove the rivet. Just put the link in the chain splitter's first set of teeth and turn the handle about 1/3 of a turn. This will be enough to losen the link.
Okay thanks yeah a good idea, didn't think it was wise pushing pin right out, was thinking first try just moving the pin slightly.
Are you flexing it sideways? That's the way to loosen a stiff link. Otherwise, use your chain tool in the 'easing' position - prongs in the middle of the links - but go very easy.
Yes did try flexing it sideways but didn't really know how much force to use in case it strained things or even worse snap
something. Will have another go at snapping it tomorrow :laugh:
Think I know what you mean but can you elaborate on this easing position maybe with a diagram or link to a video maybe, please

Big John

Guru
Agree with the use of a chain tool but I've noticed some of the chain tools don't have an option for loosening a tight link i.e two positions to place the link. I wouldn't take a rivet out and mess with it. You'll never get it back in.

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Agree with the use of a chain tool but I've noticed some of the chain tools don't have an option for loosening a tight link i.e two positions to place the link. I wouldn't take a rivet out and mess with it. You'll never get it back in.
Yes not sure my ct does tbh. Noticed rivets were slightly mushroomed and thought... hmm it wont like being forced out
but maybe if I can move it a mill or so then move round to other side of chain and push it back in, but yeah risky

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

A fall back if all else fails could be to remove seized link and replace with a quick link could it not?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Okay thanks yeah a good idea, didn't think it was wise pushing pin right out, was thinking first try just moving the pin slightly.

Yes did try flexing it sideways but didn't really know how much force to use in case it strained things or even worse snap
something. Will have another go at snapping it tomorrow :laugh:
Think I know what you mean but can you elaborate on this easing position maybe with a diagram or link to a video maybe, please
Flex it as hard as you like - unless you're King Kong.
Midlife's diagram shows how to use the chain-tool. But start with less than a quarter-turn, and visually check the pin is still fully engaged.

silva

Über Member
I found the quickest way to lose a stiff link (sometimes happens when I'm pushing a pin back) is to hold the chain on boths sides of it and slam it onto a block steel. If it doesn't work, swap left / right and try again. the first time

Top Bottom