Stiff quads and calves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I commute 20 miles a day, 5 days a week, just maintaining a regular routine, nothing new here. I have being doing that for a few years now, no problems.

I recently started adding running and swimming to the mix, 2-3 times a week each, hopefully once I have mastered the Front Crawl, I'll have a bash at a Tri event.

I have noticed that my quads are getting tight, and my calves too, to a lesser extent. Sometimes when I fully extend my muscles, I feel like I might be on the verge of cramp, if that makes any sense? I'm not bragging here, my quads literally feel like tree trunks, and getting stiffer with time, hopefully this is not ageing, I'm only 29! Can anyone recommend some exercise to help alleviate this stiffness. I don't think I'm over training, as I rest regularly and only increase running and swimming distances in small increments.

I imagine stretching might help with flexibility, but haven't got a clue really. I always stretch before and after running, but never on the bike, or swimming.

Milzy

Guru
Just go for a sports massage about £30 for 45 mins. Sorted.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stretching after all exercise sessions (i.e. Every day) and regular foam rolling. I was recommended a book called prescriptive stretching (Amazon sell)
Hot bath might all help afterwards

Monthly sports massage a good shout

screenman

Legendary Member
Ice cold bath.

screenman

Legendary Member
Only any good for things like rugby / contact sports, not of any value to a riding / running situation.

That is interesting, have you a link as it seems some doctors seem to think it has benefits, seems to work for Mo as well. I am happy to be educated further on the subject.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Ice baths work by reducing inflammation, which isn't necessarily a good idea, as the inflammation is the body's way of healing itself. By taking away the inflammation, you slow the healing process. That said, if pain is extreme, it might be a good idea to take the compromise of slower recovery if it means you can tolerate the pain a bit better.

As for me, I'm certainly not in pain, just stiff! So I doubt an unpleasant ice bath is going to help :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
My Physio had me plunge my foot into an icy bucket for plantar fasciitis. Hurt like crazy but did seem to ease pain (at least for a bit). Wouldn't want to put all of me in

Try a hot water bottle after stretching

Top Bottom