Still a Beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KateK

...after 3 years....What I learnt today: don't go cycling when the roads have puddled with ice. Didn't learn that last week (when 3 people came off) learnt it too late this week when I came off (with 3 others) Now sitting at home with ice pack or tip toeing with sore groin: legs must have gone in opposite directions at some point. Aah well. I will be more cautious next time. And at least I was able to get home.

Turbo Trainer.... :smile:
Hope you get better soon .

Last edited:

BrynCP

Über Member
Set off on a 45 miler today, got off the Humber Bridge in Barton, which is just about 10 miles in, and the road was full of ice. Turned around at that point; I wasn't going to chance it knowing that further into the route, there were lots of roads covered by trees and buildings.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Our road is really icy. The main roads are OK but we have to cover a good half a mile to get to it. We slipped and slithered about walking the dogs and decided that, despite the sunshine and blue skies, we'd not ride today. Anyway, while out we saw some poor sod slide down the road off his bike. He got up and rode away (on the verge this time) before we could ask if he needed help.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

No turbo! Otherwise I guess I'd have done that once I realised the temp was still well below freezing: we had a lot of rain yesterday and no time for it to dry off.
Yup ice tyres would have been great. Or watching the old guys... who all went back home. It's only the third time I've gone out with the local club and I wasn't really taking a considered decision, just seeing what other people did. I've never come off when I've been out on my own.
Got my first road rash too! What excitement. And my poor new bike is getting grounded with remarkable regularity. Still it appears to be tougher than me.

Glad you didn't get too hurt...was contemplating going out today as well but then decided on a nice long walk with the kids (only lasted 30 mins though as it was even too cold for them!)

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Glad you didn't get too hurt...was contemplating going out today as well but then decided on a nice long walk with the kids (only lasted 30 mins though as it was even too cold for them!)
Sensible choice, my husband did the same.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes i gave it a miss this morning, and it turns out three club members went down on the ice, worse one being a fractured elbow. ouch, Be careful out there, if in doubt give it a miss.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom