Stinging Eyes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Riding up a long hill in rain suddenly got intense stinging in both eyes so bad I tried to wash them out with water bottle. Pain was intense.

Not sure if it was salty sweat in my eyes or maybe shampoo from my hair running down with the rain water, never had it any where as bad as that. I allways make sure theres no suncream on my forehead so it wasnt that.

Its by no means the first time I have ridden up a mountain in the peeing down rain so caught me by surprise.

RebornBumbler

Was there suntan lotion on any part of your head?
If so, my guess is that it migrated south!

doug

Veteran
Were you wearing a helmet ?

I find over a few weeks/months the sweat builds up and concentrates in the forehead pads of my helmet. It eventually gets to the point where it is super concentrated and when I next ride and get sweaty it drips down into my eyes.

Try washing your helmet pads, that will solve the problem for a while.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Sweaty helmet band is most likely havent washed it for awhile .had sweat sting my eyes before but this was like acid.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In the last 18 months I have suffered with a similar problem. So bad that I have actually developed some flaky skin along the eyelashes at times. I was due an eye examination at the opticians so initially asked them what they thought? The suggestion was either some kind of eczema or simply dry, irritated skin. I was in the Doc's a few weeks later so asked him the same question and his answer was almost identical so he suggested a moisturiser to be applied to the eyelids as required. I did tell both about the cycling and sweat problem and they said this could aggravate the condition which would explain the irritation when sweaty. I have to admit it has been better this summer (?) but the times when it is bad it has felt like someone has smeared acid around my eyes!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Amazing isn't it how people suffer out of ignorance?

A buff soaks up the sweat and you'll never get smelly helmet pads again or sweat in your eyes. It also helps the sweat to evaporate and keeps you cooler. A buff is warm in winter as well.

You just have to wash the buff out - I take mine in the post-ride shower.

anyuser

Über Member
Amazing isn't it how people suffer out of ignorance?

A buff soaks up the sweat and you'll never get smelly helmet pads again or sweat in your eyes. It also helps the sweat to evaporate and keeps you cooler. A buff is warm in winter as well.

You just have to wash the buff out - I take mine in the post-ride shower.

This ^^^^

I use a Sweatvac skullcap rather than a Buff but same effect.

Berties

Fast and careful!
If I know I'm going to get wet I never use any product in my hair ,haven't done for years,and I stopped wearing a buff in the summer I let the vents in my helmet do their job,but my helmet does fit well and I give it a extra click on a hot day ,this retains the sweat in the pad,just a bit gross when I remove the helmet ,sweat just pours out,works for me in the heat

Top Bottom