Stocking up pantry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
[QUOTE 5523851, member: 9609"]Not really, I think we're pretty much as intensive as it can practicably be.
GM and more fertilisers will likely see us produce more in the future though. (although some scientists reckon we only have another 50 to 100 harvests left before the soil breaks down to an unworkable dust, thats sounds great)

Food waste is a big thing though - I think we waste 30% of what we buy. And some estimates have food waste from farm to plate as high as 50% (although a lot of farm waste (ugly food) goes as animal feed so its not an entire waste)

ugly food = food supermarkets don't want case its the wrong shape or something (tastes just as good)[/QUOTE]

Yes the way soil is pulverised by big machinery and chemical inputs means we have an estimated sixty years of soil left - using current methods

But there are highly productive, soil building, regenerative methods being used out here already by quite a few of us.

But its still a bit under the radar - seen as niche - although its the only long term viable way of producing food - unless we're just going to grow it all in a lab.

One of the 'problems ' though is that if you get it right there are very few inputs for us to buy - ie no agrichemicals or expensive high tech anything.

So its not a popular promote, or R&D methodology with research institutions, agrochemical companies, or multiples, such as supermarkets , gm creators, all the multinational businesses that have defras ear.

Theres nothing to sell us - no middle man profit to extract - we grow abundant produce - we sell it to our customers direct - everyone wins - except for those mentioned above.

What it does takes though is knowledge, craft growing skills, an integrated nutrient and biomass recycling system, short supply chains ( ie local market) and quite a few human beans committed to making it work - and access to land for those who want to do it - preferably nearer to the cities that are going to eat it - all of which could create more jobs.

I've been selling 'funny shaped' veg for years - i get complaints if folks don't get a few 'comedy carrots' now and then

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I saw one woman piling food stuffs into her trolley. She looked at me and said she want to get in before hoarders started.
Brexit is affecting shoppers in Ghana?

[QUOTE 5523851, member: 9609"]Food waste is a big thing though - I think we waste 30% of what we buy. And some estimates have food waste from farm to plate as high as 50% (although a lot of farm waste (ugly food) goes as animal feed so its not an entire waste)

ugly food = food supermarkets don't want case its the wrong shape or something (tastes just as good)[/QUOTE]

Yep, certainly agree re food waste. The amount some people I know throw out is shocking. Me? Well, I'm an inveterate yellow sticker-er, so I'm actually buying most of my food at the point at which a lot of people are throwing it away. If you store it properly, stuff keeps.

I throw very little food away. OK, occasionally the odd thing does go tits up, but my kitchen waste bin is basically peelings and tea bags.

If I do have to buy full price fruit & veg (like I did today as the YS pickings weren't so good), I do tend to go for the ugly / class 2 stuff if it's available, and I will buy seasonal / local if at all possible. Stuff that's in season and UK-grown is so much nicer than the same thing that's been flown in from wherever.

pjd57

Veteran
Well, root vegetables grow in Great Britain, don't they?
Also greens? I don't like that ubiquitous Kale, but I'll make it tasty somehow ^_^
Dairy and eggs we should have plenty from Weismann dairy locally, lots of stuff I like to cook actually comes from the Asian continent ... sorted!

I've just chucked eggs+ dairy , roughly 37 years after I stopped eating meat.

I'm not expecting any genuine food shortages , just distribution blips with some added media hype to stir the pot.

Top Bottom