Stolen Kona Fire Mountain Deluxe in Nottingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andymcd

2009 model (so red and white coloured)

Stolen between 2:30pm and 4pm on Thursday 12th July from a bike storage area outside my workplace, NG2 business park in Nottingham. Bike was locked with a Squires cable lock - the thief smashed the plastic casing which was left behind. The thief also left a Trek hardtail MTB (grey/green) which has been taken away by the police.

The bike was fitted with Shimano SPD pedals, Halfords 8f wired computer, Bikehut front and rear lights, black metal bottle cage, Mt Zefal mini pump and had a seat pack under the saddle. Seat pack contained 5 plastic tyre levers, some self-adhesive puncture repair patches and an Evans Cycles multi-tool.

If you have any information or can suggest anything to help track the bike down, please let me know!

Thanks,

Andy

sabian92

Über Member
I know this doesn't help now but avoid a cable lock in the future - as you've seen they're so easily destroyed.

NHS Biker

I had a number of Bikes nicked in Nottingham. When I lived in the Meadows, I had a Mongoose nicked as the Kryptonite U Lock was prized apart using a portable car jack, I also had one nicked from a large Nottingham Haulage firm that my dad worked for, which was locked up. Funnily enough the CCTV cameras mysteriously stopped recording prior to the bike disappearing. However Police had no evidence to go on. I also had a mongoose taken off me after being rammed by a car into a brickwall close to Chalfont Drive and lost my Left eye, after all 5 occupants assaulted me and 2 of them nicked mine and my mates more expensive bike, had my 15 mins of fame on Central News and in the Evening Post.

Best locks to use are heavy duty motorcycle chain locks with small sized links and outer neoprene covers. However avoid the round key lock versions such as Oxford Monster or Revolver, as a modified biro pen can be used to unlock these. Also avoid Abus locks, as there are videos on Youtube which shows you how to pick them.

Best to ask your employer if they can have a cycle locker installed outside, or if you can take the bike inside and remove the wheels and store it inside a cycle bag and sitck it somewhere out of the way, if you can move desks and work near a window the bag can be placed between the window and your desk, or if your employeer is sympathetic ask to have a CCTV camera placed on the cycle sheds.....

e-rider

crappy member
I had a number of Bikes nicked in Nottingham. When I lived in the Meadows, I had a Mongoose nicked as the Kryptonite U Lock was prized apart using a portable car jack, I also had one nicked from a large Nottingham Haulage firm that my dad worked for, which was locked up. Funnily enough the CCTV cameras mysteriously stopped recording prior to the bike disappearing. However Police had no evidence to go on. I also had a mongoose taken off me after being rammed by a car into a brickwall close to Chalfont Drive and lost my Left eye, after all 5 occupants assaulted me and 2 of them nicked mine and my mates more expensive bike, had my 15 mins of fame on Central News and in the Evening Post.

Best locks to use are heavy duty motorcycle chain locks with small sized links and outer neoprene covers. However avoid the round key lock versions such as Oxford Monster or Revolver, as a modified biro pen can be used to unlock these. Also avoid Abus locks, as there are videos on Youtube which shows you how to pick them.

Best to ask your employer if they can have a cycle locker installed outside, or if you can take the bike inside and remove the wheels and store it inside a cycle bag and sitck it somewhere out of the way, if you can move desks and work near a window the bag can be placed between the window and your desk, or if your employeer is sympathetic ask to have a CCTV camera placed on the cycle sheds.....
that is shocking - did they ever get caught?

NHS Biker

Yes I picked them out from video ID parades, went to court and it got chucked out, as the defence solicitor found out that they used the law students from my university I was then in when the court case occured, and stated that it would have been easy to pick out his clients from recognising the students from my university. So the case got thrown out and I got £20k compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. Then I went and purchased another Mongoose MTB from the same shop, and 3 months later it got nicked from my dad's work. Turned out they used a biro pen to open the lock. It was an Oxford Monster.

Top Bottom