Stolen on the first day of commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My son got a job and moved to Reading. I was so happy to hear when he said that he has decided to cycle to work. So I asked him to select any bike he likes. We both agreed on my trusted Specialized Sirrus Elite that I have taken on tour on many parts of the world. I went to his new place over the weekend. We mapped out a route, tried several different options and agreed the best rout to cycle.
Bike was parked in a gated underground car park in his new apartment.
On Monday morning he found that bike was stolen, cut through the cable lock and taken away.
There is CCTV in to the entry in to car park and none beyond. So no clue.
I have not insured the bike.
But as we all know it is not abut the cost of the bike.
We both are very sad.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oh dear , what a shame

OP
OP
midliferider
A disappointing tale. I'd be livid.

Another one of my bike that I gave to a friend as a present was recently stolen under similar circumstances. My neighbor tells me that it is not so difficult to cut through the locks. I really do not want to carry a D lock which is heavier than the bike itself.
I am sure we have exhausted this topic on these pages. I simply can not think of anyway to keep it secure in public place. When I cycle to work, I keep it in my office!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Another one of my bike that I gave to a friend as a present was recently stolen under similar circumstances. My neighbor tells me that it is not so difficult to cut through the locks. I really do not want to carry a D lock which is heavier than the bike itself.
I am sure we have exhausted this topic on these pages. I simply can not think of anyway to keep it secure in public place. When I cycle to work, I keep it in my office!

Indeed. I rarely take a lock with me, I stay with the bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
midliferider
What about removing the front wheel and or seat and carrying it with you?

Tin Pot

Guru

Leave the locks at work, in a locker or locked drawer.

johnnyb47

Guru
That's awful. Sorry to read of your bad news. I keep my bike in the house when not in use as I garden shed is all to easy for some toe rag to break into. I hope it turns up though for you and the thieving scum bags gets what's coming to them

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Unfortunately now with the advent of battery powered angle grinders no lock will provide total security. Thieves are becoming bolder and will steal anywhere. I recently posted a video on here of a thief trying to steal from a moving car in traffic which had a bike on the back in a carrier.

OP
OP
midliferider
Cable lock? and your both suprized it was stolen. They are little better than nothing.
I'm sorry for your loss, but lock it properly or lose it and just move on. You wont get it back so I'd just be thinking about better security and a new to you bike. Your wasting your time and energy on being upset.

I am not upset or wasting my energy on it. As Cycleops siad in his post, thieves can now cut through any lock. I am looking for other options to leave a bike in a public place

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm sure any police officers on here can weigh in but I'd be wary of a shared parking facility regardless of the lock/s. Unfortunately these are targeted and sometimes it's a fellow resident. Cable lock is a bit weak but with a Sirrus it would have been scoped and any needed tools fetched to sort any lock.

I think letting the emotion out on here is far better than bottling them up. Cancelling them altogether, so you never waste energy on non-productive emotion may be an admirable target but I couldn't do it.

classic33

Leg End Member
You just said you were very sad!
Have a think about getting the best D lock on the market, cycle points and insuring it and where its being left ,for how long and the potential audience.Nothings 100% but you can improve the odds of it not being taken considerably.
Battery powered angle grinder, decent cutting disc, I'd the lock cut(Gold Sold Secure) in under a minute. £70 lock gone, but we got the bike home. Super glue in the lock.

Top Bottom