Stomach pains on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
The other day I went on a 2 hour ride. After about 30 mins I got like a stitch pain in my lower right hand side. It seemed to spread across my stomach. It got gradually worse until it was too painful to pedal felt like I was going to throw up. I got off and the pain went. Back on and it came back. When I eased off downhill the pain subsided and got worse the more effort I put in. I ended up rolling home at 10mph as I was I agony.

It has happened a couple of times before when I've had energy gels on rides giving me stomach cramps and dioreah. But this was different I had a jam sarnie 10 mins before heading out and nothing on the ride but plenty of water.

Is it just a case of me having dodgy guts? Maybe ibs or something..

It really ruined my ride and don't fancy it happening when I'm 30 miles from home.

Trapped nerve somewhere would be my guess. Go and get checked out by a medical professional.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've had something similar before. I suspect it was a damaged stomach muscle caused by a bad bike fit. I stopped getting stomach pain on bike rides when I brought a bike with a smaller frame. I would suggest checking your bike fit is as good as it can be first. I have IBS, but it's never caused pain when cycling like you describe so personally I wouldn't worry about that. But I'm not a medical professional, so if you're worried go to the doctor.

vickster

Legendary Member
I got a stitch about 15 miles into Ride London. It finally went when I stopped riding around 7 hours later! It was actually better when breathing deeply going up hill and worst going down!

If it continues after a period of rest, see a medic. Avoid gels, eat food

Julia9054

Guru
See a doctor. Stomach pain and nausea might be appendicitis. Easily fixed if caught before appendix ruptures, possibly life changing if not.

Once that is eliminated, work on your core muscles.
I agree. Go to the quack. I "diagnosed " myself with IBS. After a particularly severe attack a month ago, i finally went to the docs and it turned out to be something a bit more serious. Get checked out - it's what they are there for

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Get it checked by a GP. I had something similar which turned out to be a hernia giving early warning well before it finally popped.

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
Cheers guys. I went for a 2 hour ride today with no problems. Although I have lower back pain and slightly dodgy guts at the minute but that's quite normal for me. I think I either have ibs or the pain is referred from my lower back. I have a weak back from work and it quite often flares up. Just never happened like that on the bike before.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go see a doctor and talk to your occupational health department if work is causing injury

WelshJon

A 'stitch' is usually caused by your diaphragm doing over time and cramping up, like a muscle would. So early in your ride might be the fact that you started aggressively ? or perhaps the jam sarnie was trying to make its way through but the bent over position on bike was preventing it digesting properly. I get a similar thing if i cram some toast down on a cafe stop.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What have you been drinking? Anything containing maltodextrin (i.e. gels and powders) will give you wind, which will get trapped and give you pain in your guts. It gets worse as you enter your forties and beyond and become less tolerant to carbs.

Top Bottom