stood up or sat down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am for spinning on my granny cog and really do not find any problem with the steepest hills doing this (I am on road).

Standing up going down hill is just fun! and it gives you a chance for a stretch and to flex your legs a bit. Lifting your bum up for bumps is sensable too.

On the uphill stand up v spin thing I have a few thoughts...
When sitting you push your weight on your pedal so as I am 12 stone lets say I push down with a force of 6 stone (the remaining 6 stone being on the saddle) If I stand up then I must be putting all 12 stone onto the pedal.
For the bike to convert 6 stone of force into the bike moving up a steep hill it needs first gear but if you chuck twice the force at that same gear it is too much and the pedal just drops with your weight so you need to be a few cogs down to actually make your weight be used to its full force or else you will be putting in a lot of effort while standing up. You need to get the maximum out of each turn. (this is how it can get you out of trouble if you hit an unexpected hill in the wrong gear).

Standing up you are putting in a set amount of effort -- that is moving your weight from one foot on the bottom pedal up to the other pedal. The bike then converts the pedal going down under your weight into movement. Your effort must be the same (lifing from bottom pedal to top one) whatever gear you are in, so you need to ensure you are in the one that will make most use of that given amount of power.

While seated the effort is in pushing the pedal down but while standing the effort is raising yourself onto the top pedal. So effort while seated can vary depending how much push you put in.

I sometimes cycle with a friend who hardly changes gear and he just stands up when he gets to a hill. I don't want legs like a Russian weightlifter so prefer to spin up the hills.

yello

If I stand, it's usually to give my backside a break, or my legs a stretch!

Also, to accelerate up a hill, or carry speed, or because I've got the gear wrong or have no gears (fixed), uncertain/loose road surface, or because I just feel like it!

I think standing is good for core strength too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need good core strength to stand for a long time. It's pretty hilly where I am, long climbs like the Snake Pass are done sat down, with occasional standing up to streatch. Shorter steeper climbs I'll stand up - I've only got 39 x 21 bottom gear, and it gives everything a stretch. For very steep climbs it's deffo standing and grinding on my gears. If you are riding a long distance, e.g. hilly 100 miles, you don't want to be using big gears up hills.

It's pretty personal stand/sit, and alot depends upon fitness, strength and riding style.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I only stand if I've had to come to a sudden stop without being able to change down through the gears, and need to get all my weight into turning the pedals in order to move off again.

I will stand for rough bumps / dunken drain covers etc, and let the bike pivot beneath me.

Otherwise I just can't manage to stand up and pedal more than a few yards. It feels so bloody uncomfortable and unstable, and twice as much effort as spinning whilst seated. I've tried repeatedly to get myself used to it, but it just doesn't agree with me and saps my energy completely. ;)

roshi chris

Stood up - more muscle groups in use around the body including arms and core/ potentially much more power - tougher on heart rate though.

Sat down - fewer muscle groups used/ less overall effort so easier on heart rate - hard on leg muscles.

Want overall CV fitness? Stand. Wanna be a champion cyclist? Sit!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
TheDoctor said:
Hi!
Whatever feels comfortable for you. There's no single right answer.
I tend to stand up for a short steep rise - going over a railway bridge, that kind of thing. Long hills, I stay in the saddle and spin a low gear.

+1 more. i always like to sprint up the railway bridge on one of our local club routes. i usually win too :angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can't climb standing, then I'd suggest practicing it more - core strength will be increased...it's also great for sprinting to get through traffic and junctions.....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My problem opportunity :angry: comes when I've had to get out of the saddle for a short time up a hill, have changed up a couple of gears - then find the hill continues and I can't change down before I have to sit down :sad:, so tend to come to a complete stop xx(. Not good :sad:

Keith Oates

Janner
I mix the two depending on how a feel and if I want to get the circulation going in the úndercarriage'' However I generally don't change down on short sharp hills but then stand, it seems to help in maintaining the average speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MattB

When I used to BMX, I was always stood up, the bike didnt really suit sitting down whilst riding :angry: Literally all of the time I was stood up on it. Im not sure how this will translate into riding a mountain bike though...

Top Bottom