Stop it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coco

I've got a birthday coming up and am trying hard not to get an SS/Fixed bike for my commute.

Comments like these are particularly unwelcome.

yes it's harder, but it builds up the important hamstrings and tendons more, and it's good training....(certainly fixed/strengthened a weak hamstring in my left left leg that 'free wheeled' bikes couldn't).

Fixed wheels teach you to pedal properly.

For me it is definitely the hill climbing that gets better with riding fixed

Fixed makes you look cool and interesting.

Single speed freewheels are pointless in my opinion, all the limitations of a fixed wheel bike but with none of the benefits. Who not stick a cluster and a mech on it and be done.

Everyone who considers themselves a cyclist should go through a fixed wheel phase.

PrettyboyTim

mickle said:
Everyone who considers themselves a cyclist should go through a fixed wheel phase.

Been there, done that. It was my first bike and I was three years old, bought by my parents using Green Shield Stamps. I think it may have been called a 'Pony Express'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
mickle said:
Single speed freewheels are pointless in my opinion, all the limitations of a fixed wheel bike but with none of the benefits. Who not stick a cluster and a mech on it and be done.
I can see your point, but I don't completely agree with it. I do have a singlespeed bike which I keep at my sister's house in Coventry. It has the following benefits in common with a fixed gear bike:
  • It is light
  • It is mechanically simple/efficient/reliable
  • It has a perfect chainline
  • It was cheaper than buying a bike with an expensive groupset on (in fact it only cost me £25 because I borrowed the frame/forks/wheels off a mate who has emigrated and had most of the other bits in my junk box)
  • It makes a nice change from a geared bike

It wouldn't be suitable for a hilly area like here in West Yorkshire because I'd be very overgeared on the climbs and wouldn't have the 'flywheel' effect of a fixed gear to help get the cranks through the dead spots in the pedal stroke.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Think I'm hankering after one of these if C2W starts again this year...

RedBuildKit.jpg

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Coco said:
I've got a birthday coming up and am trying hard not to get an SS/Fixed bike for my commute.

How long have you had your Bianchi now? I am sure the time has come for the "n+1" equation to be re-evaluated :sad:

T

brodie

Quote:
yes it's harder, but it builds up the important hamstrings and tendons more, and it's good training....(certainly fixed/strengthened a weak hamstring in my left left leg that 'free wheeled' bikes couldn't).
Quote:
Fixed wheels teach you to pedal properly.
Quote:
For me it is definitely the hill climbing that gets better with riding fixed

Sorry, these fixed myths get repeated over and over again that some people actually believe them. If riding fixed is good training, it's only because you're putting more effort in and riding harder, nothing to do with that there's no freewheeel.

And as for teaching you to pedal properly, in fact a lot of the times, it makes you lazy, you just let the bike's momentum bring your feet round. This is why you get people saying that riding a freewheel bike feels weird, that the cranks feel ""stuck".

...and wouldn't have the 'flywheel' effect of a fixed gear to help get the cranks through the dead spots in the pedal stroke.

If you are letting the so-called 'flywheel effect' pushing your pedals round then you actually slowing down the bike.

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

Telemark said:
How long have you had your Bianchi now? I am sure the time has come for the "n+1" equation to be re-evaluated :ohmy:

T

Yeh, I rather foolishly got the Bianchi to replace my commuter. Little did I know that it won't take a rack :laugh:

Looks like I'll need to get another bike more suitable for commuting :biggrin:

Top Bottom