Stop Killing Cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's a problem with the government not giving walking and cycling its fair share of the transport budget, which gives an ideal excuse to politicians who are happy to compromise infrastructure until it's arguably worse than nothing.

Cycling spend is not even proportionate to the current use, and nowhere near on track to meet the UN target of 20% by 2025. Campaigning has changed other things, so let's give it a go at this.

Ok , no prob s
It's snowing.

Seriously reconsidering .....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You cannot give this much credability, when the spokesperson drags out facts from thin air.

"Stop Killing Cyclists spokesperson Caspar Hughes said: “Air pollution is poisoning millions of people in the UK, whilst traffic carbon emissions are contributing to the climate emergency. Road danger means most people do not feel safe cycling on UK roads, which means they lack life-saving physical exercise.”

He added: “There is now an urgent health crisis which is costing the NHS billions. It is now crucial that our national cycling infrastructure gets its fair share of national infrastructure investment.”

You cannot give this much credability, when the spokesperson drags out facts from thin air.

"Stop Killing Cyclists spokesperson Caspar Hughes said: “Air pollution is poisoning millions of people in the UK, whilst traffic carbon emissions are contributing to the climate emergency. Road danger means most people do not feel safe cycling on UK roads, which means they lack life-saving physical exercise.”

He added: “There is now an urgent health crisis which is costing the NHS billions. It is now crucial that our national cycling infrastructure gets its fair share of national infrastructure investment.”
Which fact do you argue with?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
40,000 die each year but the millions it is damaging is speculation.

Life saving physical exercise? Most of the people I know do no physical exercise at all, but are perfectly fine. I am not doubting that physical activity can help your health. But I do doubt that if I stop exercising, that I will fall down dead.

Its just a bit sensationalist for my liking.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg

Peddled up there today with @jefmcg , ( nice to meet you by the way ! ) there was an xlnt turnout despite the weather , we did the playing dead bit whilst observing the minute silence for the cyclist victims of road deaths,
At the end of the day it was an awareness rally , so no harm done but maybe good comes from, it , plus got 20+ miles maybe on new roadie , and good workout for leg ,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Life saving physical exercise? Most of the people I know do no physical exercise at all, but are perfectly fine. I am not doubting that physical activity can help your health.
So those who do physical activity are more than perfect? :huh:

Some of the numbers may be speculative... or as it's usually called: estimates.

40,000 die each year but the millions it is damaging is speculation.
London breached its legal limits for toxic air for the entire year in the first five days of 2017.

Millions live in London, and in those boroughs affected. The air is polluted almost every day. Millions are breathing in this poisonous air. I think that can be summarised to "poisoned" for a press release (or whatever you are quoting: you still haven't said)

Life saving physical exercise? Most of the people I know do no physical exercise at all, but are perfectly fine. I am not doubting that physical activity can help your health. But I do doubt that if I stop exercising, that I will fall down dead.
Well, I certainly would put more credence in your anecdata than I do in almost every health authority in the world.
Physical inactivity a leading cause of disease and disability, warns WHO

Thanks for straightening me out on that.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jef. I am not straightening you out on anything. I am just expressing an opinion. Most of the people I know do not exercise and manage perfectly well. Thats all i was saying.

I just thought that "Life saving physical exercise" was guilding the lily, somewhat.

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh dear... @steveindenmark has just been comprehensively pwned... :laugh:

I have been taking a big interest in the figures. even on a Sunday the PM2.5 being measured , with the other nasties, put the figures into "unhealthy" . OK its factored number and I don't know the actual micrograms per metre cubed figure but thats horrendous .

Top Bottom