Stop Killing Cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jef. I am not straightening you out on anything. I am just expressing an opinion. Most of the people I know do not exercise and manage perfectly well. Thats all i was saying.

I just thought that "Life saving physical exercise" was guilding the lily, somewhat.
You were accusing someone of being "sensationalist" when they were in fact reflecting the views of the WHO.

Denying that people die of inactivity because the people around you are fine makes you seem like this guy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E0a_60PMR8

bigjim

Legendary Member
Denying that people die of inactivity because the people around you are fine makes you seem like this guy.
I don't think Steve was saying that. He said people that don't exercise. Activity is a different thing. The people doing fine are probably active in their normal daily lives. My Gran lived well into her 90s. She ran a post office and was on her feet all day and still behind the counter in her 90s. My aunt was a Nun in Ireland, died peacefully at 95. Her duties were to cook and feed the homeless. Up at 5 every day to look after them plus all the singing and praying. Never stopped. Again still doing this in her 90s. But no exercise just got on with the day. You don't need to cycle or run etc. Hence cycling is not particularly life saving. Especially if you do an hour then sit on your arris for the rest of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thanks Jim. That is exactly what I was saying.

But I am sure Jef will find something to cut and paste that will prove us both wrong.

Milzy

Guru
I don't think Steve was saying that. He said people that don't exercise. Activity is a different thing. The people doing fine are probably active in their normal daily lives. My Gran lived well into her 90s. She ran a post office and was on her feet all day and still behind the counter in her 90s. My aunt was a Nun in Ireland, died peacefully at 95. Her duties were to cook and feed the homeless. Up at 5 every day to look after them plus all the singing and praying. Never stopped. Again still doing this in her 90s. But no exercise just got on with the day. You don't need to cycle or run etc. Hence cycling is not particularly life saving. Especially if you do an hour then sit on your arris for the rest of the day.
I see the point you're trying to make but I believe if you do run/cycle regularly you'll have more resistance to heart disease and cancers etc than just having a busy day on your feet.
You can't win anyway if you drop lots of weight and have low body fat some knobber will say you should be a jockey.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I see the point you're trying to make but I believe if you do run/cycle regularly you'll have more resistance to heart disease and cancers etc than just having a busy day on your feet.
You can't win anyway if you drop lots of weight and have low body fat some knobber will say you should be a jockey.
I don't agree but it's our perogative. Much of good health is what you eat so a busy life with good food is an essential IMO. It's a fine line in so called exercise. Too much of it and you can have joint damage and a decreased immune system. Look at nature. It's usually the slow moving lanquid creatures that are long lived. Elephants, Tortoise, whales, Turtles. The frenetic ones, Big cats, Squirrels, Dogs, Flies. Don't last long.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
That's very odd reasoning indeed. Think about it. Do you believe that if elephants speeded up they wouldn't live as long; or if squirrels slowed down they would live longer?
I don't know... there is something floating around in the back of my head about heart beats and animal size from doing biology at school though I'm sure 20 (cough) years later things have moved on from then. Not saying that an individual could change their heartbeat just something was linked?

davidphilips

Veteran
read some where that the average life expectancy of a Spitfire pilot in the war was 4 weeks wonder with ever increasing conjested roads will there be a time when someone forecasts the average life expectancy of a commuter cyclist, lol hope if they do it will be 100 + years.

bigjim

Legendary Member
That's very odd reasoning indeed. Think about it. Do you believe that if elephants speeded up they wouldn't live as long; or if squirrels slowed down they would live longer?
I don't think it's odd reasoning at all. Why would you say that? It's actually factual. The slow moving animals in general live longer. What is the longest living bird? The Albatross. The one that spends it's life floating on thermals rather than flapping like crazy. Think about it. Plus my cat is pretty frenetic when it wants to be. As I said, my opinion. Which I think I'm still entitled to last time I looked.

bigjim

Legendary Member
:laugh: :laugh: Of course, you are entitled to believe anything yparrow lives loger than

I didn't say I believed anything. I said look at nature. You are coming across as a bit of a niusance. One of those forum lurkers/trolls just looking at picking an argument for the sake of it. Lots of your type about. Best to be ignored really as nothing positive to contribute.

Actually, on a lot of things it does. Even though it may be the policy area of another department, the Treasury normally has to agree significant expenditure items - particularly capital expenditure.
But it doesn't initiate the spending decision?

Top Bottom