Stopped using carbon bars a long time ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But there's also this.

View: https://youtu.be/Sjs8B5pO9k4

Safer off riding a unicycle I think.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But there's also this.

View: https://youtu.be/Sjs8B5pO9k4

Safer off riding a unicycle I think.

I was going to say that either he lives by the sea, or he has been doing a lot of very hard turbo sessions. Apparently, it WAS due to years of turbo use.

I did one very hard winter on my first turbo trainer, which had a fan resistance unit attached to a very solid metal frame. The front wheel was removed and the fork clipped into the frame. My sweat managed to corrode through that girder-like frame in just 3 months! (I wiped the bike and turbo down after every session, but I had not realised that the sweat was running down to the underside of the turbo frame, and rotting it out of sight of me.)

I was going to say that either he lives by the sea, or he has been doing a lot of very hard turbo sessions. Apparently, it WAS due to years of turbo use.

I did one very hard winter on my first turbo trainer, which had a fan resistance unit attached to a very solid metal frame. The front wheel was removed and the fork clipped into the frame. My sweat managed to corrode through that girder-like frame in just 3 months! (I wiped the bike and turbo down after every session, but I had not realised that the sweat was running down to the underside of the turbo frame, and rotting it out of sight of me.)

That's both scary and impressive.

Must admit I use my CF bars and bike on the turbo but they've been cling filmed and toweled for protection too.

I'm definitely not working as hard as you did !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm definitely not working as hard as you did !
It was the winter of my big relationship bust-up! :whistle:

After a few nights feeling very sorry for myself and drinking myself stupid, I decided that the booze had to go...

I stopped drinking, and did crazily hard turbo sessions as often as my body could take them. I'd get so knackered that I had to literally crawl up the stairs to my post-session baths.

It worked though. I lost over 4 stone in weight that winter, and got to my fittest ever by the following summer! Unfortunately, it didn't last... I slipped into old habits over the following years and got fat and unfit again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Both are extreme incidents. I'm using 30 plus year old alloy bars on both road bikes, and same age stems. Not dead yet.

Folk are using carbon bars MTB'ing, so they can't be that bad. User error usually, or cheaply made ones.

Would it help to put an unbonded strip of fibre along the bar, under the tape, to hold everything together in the event of a catastrophic crack failure

Top Bottom