Stopped using carbon bars a long time ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Both are extreme incidents. I'm using 30 plus year old alloy bars on both road bikes, and same age stems. Not dead yet.

Folk are using carbon bars MTB'ing, so they can't be that bad. User error usually, or cheaply made ones.

I only use carbon bars on my MTB's as ounce/ounce they are stronger. Same for rims, my carbon rims may be 4x more expensive than alloy, but they generally last (at least stay true) years longer than alloy.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I was going to say that either he lives by the sea, or he has been doing a lot of very hard turbo sessions. Apparently, it WAS due to years of turbo use.

I did one very hard winter on my first turbo trainer, which had a fan resistance unit attached to a very solid metal frame. The front wheel was removed and the fork clipped into the frame. My sweat managed to corrode through that girder-like frame in just 3 months! (I wiped the bike and turbo down after every session, but I had not realised that the sweat was running down to the underside of the turbo frame, and rotting it out of sight of me.)

I have a similar issue with my Alien-like perspiration. On the turbo I’ve trashed two sets of handlebars (second were cheap because I had an idea what would happen), rotted a headset and corroded some front wheel spokes to the hub.

This CC ancient history, but I have a memory of @Origamist of this parish posting vid years ago of his not-carbon handlebars letting go on a ride. Apologies if I’ve mis-remembered. I’m out now but might try to find it this evening.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Been using carbon bars for years. Never had a problem. Definitely more comfortable than ally bars. Only time I have seen carbon bars break is after a heavy crash.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have a similar issue with my Alien-like perspiration. On the turbo I’ve trashed two sets of handlebars (second were cheap because I had an idea what would happen), rotted a headset and corroded some front wheel spokes to the hub.

This CC ancient history, but I have a memory of @Origamist of this parish posting vid years ago of his not-carbon handlebars letting go on a ride. Apologies if I’ve mis-remembered. I’m out now but might try to find it this evening.

I remember it too. Filmed by Gaz iirc.

Gunk

Guru
My Van Nicholas came with a set of Cinelli Morphe carbon bars which are an insane amount of money, would I have chosen them? No, but I quite like them. :becool:

8AAD071B-F971-48B3-93EA-963EE51C6752.jpeg

Top Bottom