Stopping coughs and colds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I used to get them back to back when I had thyroid problems and therefore poor immunity

Now I rarely get the, unless I'm run down, just picked one up, probably as I've been drinking and sleeping all Christmas! I've really suffered and as I couldn't sleep NYE I think I struggled to fight it off as usual and it's got hold

4 days and counting

I hoping this annoying thing I have in my nose (its not really bunged up, just there) is the lurgy that going round and my immune system has kept it in my nose, whilst others nearby have had it go to a sore throat. I don't know if I'm right or not but I like to think by not running to the med cabinet at a small cold, means that my immune system is stronger.

mgs315

I hoping this annoying thing I have in my nose (its not really bunged up, just there) is the lurgy that going round and my immune system has kept it in my nose, whilst others nearby have had it go to a sore throat. I don't know if I'm right or not but I like to think by not running to the med cabinet at a small cold, means that my immune system is stronger.

Aye seems pretty valid. The other half (and the lodger for that matter) are usually struck down massively with any cold most of the time yet I seem to be able to persevere with a bit of the sniffles, very rarely on the throat.

Not smoking, exercising lots and having an outdoor job/lifestyle in general seem to help.

12boy

Guru
Part of avoiding colds is simply getting older as you have already encountered so many viruses by that time. If you have kids, by the time they get through school they have treated you to many exposures as do jobs with a lot of public contact. I rarely get colds but when on a bike in the colder months my nose runs like crazy, which I believe washes out out viruses and prevents congestion. Being fit in a cardiovascular way has to help because heart and lungs are more efficient than when sedentary. It has always been my theory that the pace of modern life is fairly stressful and perhaps I get sick because I need to get off the treadmill for a while. My wife is of sterner stuff than me and doesn't slow down much if she has a cold. If I get sick I do as little as possible and sleep as much as I can for a day or so which enables me to get better much more quickly than trying to ignore it and tough it out.

Nebulous

Guru
I rarely get colds but when on a bike in the colder months my nose runs like crazy, which I believe washes out out viruses and prevents congestion. Being fit in a cardiovascular way has to help because heart and lungs are more efficient than when sedentary.
I spent my childhood with chest infections and on antibiotics. All of my adult.life I'd spend a lot of the winter coughing up rubbish and blowing thick yellow mucus out of my nose.

After taking up cycling seriously my nose started to run. On a cold day on the bike it will run quite a bit. However the composition has changed. Instead of this thick sticky stuff I couldn't get rid of its thin and clear. My health is also much better, with shorter and less frequent colds.

I'm convinced it's cycling which has done it.

alicat

Legendary Member
Part of avoiding colds is simply getting older as you have already encountered so many viruses by that time.

This is true for me. When I was in my twenties, I seemed to have a cold every three months. Now it's more like once a year.

So, to avoid getting colds simply carry on getting older.

Top Bottom