Stopping motorcycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The ones round here are very awkward with a long wheelbase bike (e.g. my MTB), and impassable for cargo bikes or for folks with kiddie trailers. I don't think cyclists should continually have to settle for second-best myself. We should be able to cycle as easily on cycle infrastructure as we can on the road or why bother using it?
Then they aren't long enough, there are a couple I use on a regular basis and I can get a bike and trailer in easily.

D

Deleted member 26715

I sometimes or sometimes did ride home on the National Cycle route 6 I think it is coming out of Sheffield, in a 6 mile stretch there are 20+ of these, I no longer use the the route as it just spoils it.

Drago

Legendary Member
@G3CWI are you talking about the barriers there are to get onto the Middlewood Way etc with the restricted width narrowing towards the top? Not sure what the best solution would be but CEC are dire as a LA at the best of times... Maybe a coded gate system for registered disabled would help people with wheelchairs or recumbent trikes.
Not a bad idea. Most disabled folk have a Radar Key (Google it) and perhaps a gate with a lock that accepts the Radar Key would keep the scum out but allow disabled users in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of my rides involve a few of these - pain in the bum, especially with MTB bars - not particularly wide at 740mm, but even my shoulders don't fit through most. Given Covid, I've taken to using the horse 'steps' - basically 1 or 2 large sleepers to negotiate.

Baldy

Über Member
I would wager that most transport planners in the country have never actually seen a bike and have no idea what their for.

D

Deleted member 23692

Not a bad idea. Most disabled folk have a Radar Key (Google it) and perhaps a gate with a lock that accepts the Radar Key would keep the scum out but allow disabled users in.
The trouble with Radar keyed access is that they either hardly ever get used so the (very expensive) padlocks rust up or the scroats find out that the keys are cheap and widely available so they quickly become pointless.

I've lost count of the padlocks I've had to loosen off with various potions and lubes only for them to seize again through lack of use. Radar keys are great for disabled toilets but of little use use for general access.

Physical barriers are far better - K barriers are very effective if installed correctly (with the emphasis on correctly), but even those will disadvantage some legitimate user groups.

DRM

Guru
Our Local Authority has a fixation on stopping motorcycles accessing shared paths. This is frequently misplaced in that they seldom block all the paths to an area. The result of this policy is that more often than not the paths are not easily accessible by other users (cyclists, buggies, cargo bikes, wheel chairs etc). What’s best practice these days? Photos very welcome.
Machine gun nest?

Top Bottom