Storage heaters coming on later and later each day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you looked for another time switch, possibly beside your domestic fuse box?
My off peak heating system (pre Economy 7) had two timers in series, the first switched the offpeak supply off and on at times fixed by my suppliery it was sealed, but could be read through the looking glass to check when supply was off or on. Then there was another timer which allowed the customer to alter the periods that power was supplied to the heating system within the parameters of the first sealed time switch. This allowed the customer to economise or increase heating period during colder periods.
This secondary switch had to be checked occasionally to ensure that it was at the right time of day, also that the off and on contactors were sitting at the times on the dial that you wanted power to be supplied. There was a locking ring that had to be screwed up hand tight when all settings had been corrected.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's an old-fashioned timer clock thing with on/off stops round the perimeter. The ectricity meter has two rows of readout. I guess the timer is supposed to switch the storage heaters on at about midnight then off at about 6 but every day it slips and loses an hour. Today they came on at 1.00 so it will be warmer by the time we go to bed.

I just wanted to know if this slippage is a common problem and whether there's a fix.
This takes me back! I had a house with inadequate storage heaters back in the early 90s. With time either the little motor that drives the timer weakens or the mechanisms gums up slowing the clock.

The solution for the landlord is to replace the whole timer mechanism in each heater - it's a very simple job. I would respectfully suggest the solution for you might be to operate them manually for a few days and get out of there into your new place asap.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes that sounds right. Everything in this shed is broken, you should hear the fridge motor droning away, it's full of condensation and ice.

There's no way to operate the heaters manually. All they have in two knobs for the input thermostat and the output flap. Rubbish.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Hopefully this has been sorted now situation seems to be as follows:

The property has, or at least is equipped to use, Economy 7 or similar electricity tariffs where all consumption in the off peak hours, typically 00:00 to 07:00 GMT, is at a cheaper rate. The meter has two readings, one (Low) for consumption during the 7 hours and another (normal) for the other 17 hours. There's a mechanism to switch the supply over at the appropriate time. At the same time it connects the discrete circuit for the Storage Heaters,

In reasonably recent (like last 20+years) set ups the switch is effected by a radio signal from the Electric company. It's pin point accurate and adjusts doe Daylight Saving Time.

Prior to that there was an electromechanical clock, often branded Sangamo, which effected the switching mechanically. The clock's time base pre-dated quartz and was probably the 50 cycles/second mains frequency. Not uncommon, at least in rural areas, for the mains frequency to be unreliable. A relative in a Worcestershire village gave up with their cooker's timer/clock because it drifted off time.

Two things to do (1) check you're actually on an E7 tariff - I've heard of people having an E7 meter but a standard single rate tarrif. Meter reads as the sum of both rows (2) ask for your metering to be updated. If you're getting cheap rate 'leccy at peak demand time the supplier will be keen to get that put right.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hopefully this has been sorted now situation seems to be as follows:

The property has, or at least is equipped to use, Economy 7 or similar electricity tariffs where all consumption in the off peak hours, typically 00:00 to 07:00 GMT, is at a cheaper rate. The meter has two readings, one (Low) for consumption during the 7 hours and another (normal) for the other 17 hours. There's a mechanism to switch the supply over at the appropriate time. At the same time it connects the discrete circuit for the Storage Heaters,

In reasonably recent (like last 20+years) set ups the switch is effected by a radio signal from the Electric company. It's pin point accurate and adjusts doe Daylight Saving Time.

Prior to that there was an electromechanical clock, often branded Sangamo, which effected the switching mechanically. The clock's time base pre-dated quartz and was probably the 50 cycles/second mains frequency. Not uncommon, at least in rural areas, for the mains frequency to be unreliable. A relative in a Worcestershire village gave up with their cooker's timer/clock because it drifted off time.

Two things to do (1) check you're actually on an E7 tariff - I've heard of people having an E7 meter but a standard single rate tarrif. Meter reads as the sum of both rows (2) ask for your metering to be updated. If you're getting cheap rate 'leccy at peak demand time the supplier will be keen to get that put right.
He doesnt live in that house anymore……hes moved on to pastures new, with new build property in scotland

Top Bottom