Storage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

Where do you store your bike?

At the moment, my bikes are just out in the garden with covers over them. But I'm looking at getting a shed for them. But what is a good bike storage shed size? It'll need to hold 3 bikes, and a few garden tools, but the garden isn't that big so needs to be as small as possible. And most importantly be cheap.

littlered

I have 2 bikes in my kitchen, the shed is for the rabbits not the bikes, so in the kitchen they go. Must admit getting into the freezer is a bugger sometimes:biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
3 bikes ? 1 shed ? I'd suggest a minimum size of 5' x 7' (6' x 8' better) with an end door (in the 5'), not a side door, most bikes I've ever had are roughly a tad over 6' long. Hang 2 bikes up and 1 on the deck will give you enough space for a few tools (a trowel maybe !), then get yourself a bloody good hasp, padlock and alarm. I think their is a company called Rotweiller who make good alarms that sound off with a 'bite'.

bonj2

I'd make sure you get it built on concrete/screed, and get a ground anchor drilled into the floor. I personally wouldn't want to have a situation where wood is the weakest link. If you've got a ground anchor a professional thief can raise the shed to the floor and your bike's still not going anywhere.
Basicallya shed is good protection from your bikes being seen/opportunist thieves, and weather protection though. I'm sure you can pick sheds up for about a ton or two from B&Q.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I use a summer house. Notmuch of a summer house though, lawn mower one wide, my bike the other.Its about 6" by 6", but you might need more room, depending on how close you want the bikes to be.

col

Legendary Member
We've got one of these-

http://www.greatlittlegarden.co.uk/search-overlap-maxi-garden-wall-store-glg-63

It's small, but if you work it out right you can get three adult bikes in with no problem. Not much room for garden tools, though I have a track pump and workstand in there, and a shelf for bits and pieces.

Ours has two padlocks and is alarmed. And it's under the bedroom window. We've had no attempts on it yet.

Thats what i have too Mr P.just enough room for two for me,i put a shelf up high,so storing other things is ok too.

alfablue

I've just got one of these

geys.jpg

A Yardmaster 6'8" x 7'1" metal shed (size at the gables, about 3" smaller each way at the floor), for £202 delivered. It will just take 5 bikes. The next size down (£188) will do 3 or 4. much smaller would be useless (too short).

I also got this Sealey BS12 bike rack (Toolmix.com £42.51 delivered) just for an orderly shed! (a bit of an extravagance - I would have been happy without it!):

BS12.jpg

and this Oxford ground anchor (7.99 CRC):

8495.jpg

and this Oxford 2 metre x 10mm chain and lock, (£29.99 CRC):

8489.jpg

and a remote control PIR sensor 90db alarm (Aldi £8.99):

alarm_saa5020.jpg

plus there is already a pir controlled 500w security light.

The shed is mounted on pre-existing concrete paving.

Not impregnable, but it would delay a determined thief a minute or two....well maybe a minute!

Tynan

Veteran
blimey

me, I can't be arsed with digging the bike out and taking it through the house every day, (no rear access)

knocked the under the stairs cupboard out, got shot of all the junk like paint and varnish and wrapping paper and stuck al the bikes in there, mine on the outside nice and close to the front door

brill

Daniel B

alfablue said:
I've just got one of these

geys.jpg

A Yardmaster 6'8" x 7'1" metal shed (size at the gables, about 3" smaller each way at the floor), for £202 delivered. It will just take 5 bikes. The next size down (£188) will do 3 or 4. much smaller would be useless (too short).

Stonking value!

Where did you get it from?

Does it have locking doors - bit tricky to see from the pic.

Dan

alfablue

I got it from Garden Buildings Direct (it was the GEY67 model). It arrived in two packs, well within the quoted delivery times (about 10 days). It took about 6 hours to erect.

It has plastic handles on the sliding doors, they do have holes to take a padlock but I didn't bother fitting one to them, instead I fitted a metal hasp (I got one with a masterlock padlock for £10 from B&Q).

I drilled 2mm holes and used machine bolts to secure it - worked very well. I was aware of not overdoing the external security (no extravagant lock outside) as it might indicate the value of stuff inside - the true security is within!

Anyway, I am very pleased with it, and it looks reasonable in green. I also added a solar led light from Maplin, just for that finishing touch xx(, currently half price at £14.99. It works well, and the lamp has built in magmets so it just sticks on the inside of the roof

n10cx_black.jpg

Top Bottom