Storm Imogen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Don't worry - this one is going to hit darn sarf, so the BBC will talk it up to apocalyptic proportions. ;)
Prepare for a massive over reaction on breakfast telly tomorrow...
It depends where in the south it hits. Remember the storm of 1987? You probably do, as it was the Michael Fish one, and it hit London. Remember the storm of 1990? Probably not, as it didn't hit London ... but it was far worse. And I lost a friend amongst the 97 dead. Never underestimate storms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burns'_Day_storm

TreeHuggery

iandg

Legendary Member
We lost a trampolene in this one. It was scattered over 4 gardens with 20ft high bushes and trees in the way.

The rescue of the Spanish trawler fishermen wasn't just the RAF. It also involved Bristow's Search and Rescue who do most of the rescues in the North Sea. My next door neighbor at the time was the captain of the helicopter that picked up the last crew member. He went out into the north sea and pushed everything to the limit. Picked up a guy who had been bobbing about in the water in a survival suit for over 24 hrs, getting back to Benbecula on the last drops of fuel. The whole crew went to Buckingham Palace to pick up medals for bravery.

Last edited:

RichardB

Slightly retro
Well, I am sitting here at work, on an exposed site, on a bit of land that sticks out into Lundy. Thanks for the reassurance. Could be an interesting night.

By the way, I am sure that a lot of the fuss is because the storms are being named this year and people are paying more attention, as said above. Apart from being a bit more rainy than usual, this is normal January/February weather for this part of the world. It's been better, it's been worse.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the point about naming them was to raise the profile of them, and this winter has been more stormy and mild than the average.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Well, I am sitting here at work, on an exposed site, on a bit of land that sticks out into Lundy. Thanks for the reassurance. Could be an interesting night.

By the way, I am sure that a lot of the fuss is because the storms are being named this year and people are paying more attention, as said above. Apart from being a bit more rainy than usual, this is normal January/February weather for this part of the world. It's been better, it's been worse.
We'll get your post-match report tomorrow... though I'm not convinced that the run of storms is 'normal'. Yes, we expect winter storms, but it does seem to have been pretty relentless.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

RichardB

Slightly retro
Don't be sarcastic. This initiative was introduced to Raise Awareness of the storms, which as we all know is a Good Thing. I don't know why they have been giving them names though - selling wristbands and a nude protest in Parliament Square would have been much more fun.

Seriously - in Britain, winter weather is often stormy, and we don't need our awareness raising on that score. It's a silly American import.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Incidentally, Imogen is (as far as I am aware) the only English name that is the result of a typo. The name was originally Innogen (from the Irish) and Shakespeare used that name for the princess in Cymbeline*. It seems that one of the copyists read the name as Imogen, that's what went into print and the name stuck.

*Original form Cunobeline or Cunobelinus - King of the Britons in the 1C AD, and still posting hereabouts, I am told.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't be sarcastic. This initiative was introduced to Raise Awareness of the storms, which as we all know is a Good Thing. I don't know why they have been giving them names though - selling wristbands and a nude protest in Parliament Square would have been much more fun.

Seriously - in Britain, winter weather is often stormy, and we don't need our awareness raising on that score. It's a silly American import.
Are you one of those reckless citizens who will venture forth into the teeth of The Storm and make an "unnecessary journey":eek:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Looks like my part of town will be plunged back into freezing temperatures again once this 'storm' has passed. (according to BBCs website) Just as i thought it was going to get warmer, Im going to be commuting in temperatures of 2'c

Top Bottom