Storm Ride 5-Dec-2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Always exciting when a storm blows thru. Not sure why it makes me want to ride my bike tho. Especially after just cleaning the drivetrain!

Woke up Saturday to a worse forecast than wen I went to bed Friday night. What I cared about was the timing

My preference for storm riding is to ride before it gets bad. So that I can have a little fun but get home, safe & warm to watch the worst of it from inside

Been messing w/ my light mount so was curious to ride at night in falling snow. Was it worth it? Dunno

It was a classic nor’easter, where the wind spins from the northeast. A classic combines moisture from the south & cold from the north. When that clash meets at the coast it “bombs out”. we live in a nice spot approx 20 miles inland so we often catch a good dose of snow. Friends north west of us closer to New Hampshire often get a bit more than us

Got out several hours before dark, had a good ride & got some coffee. Lots of stuff was wet so I put those things to the side in my car. At 4pm I put on the dry stuff I had but not the good bike gloves. If I had kept my hands in the bar mitts I would have been fine. But I kept wiping my goggles from the clinging wet snow & turning my cameras on & off. Pics or it didn’t happen, right? By time I got back to my car after the 2nd ride, my hands were so wet & cold I had trouble taking my helmet off. Jumped in the car & stuck my hands in my arm pits for a good long while before the pain subsided. Then mounted the bike back on the car & headed home

Was joking w/ my daughter earlier in the day, about how nice it would be to go back to bed, w/ a fire & just watch from a window … Oops, my bad

Didn’t spend time editing a video story yet, but that would be fun. Here are some pics & vid clips. Gotta run to work now

aa map to edit.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/bP9uqq_MUys

View: https://youtu.be/pIFRXafJNyQ

ACTP0690.JPG

ACTP0702.JPG

ACTP0705.JPG

ACTP0716.JPG

ACTP0739.JPG

ACTP0784.JPG

slushy mud puddles
ACTP0742.JPG

the wind was cruel
ACTP0822.JPG

Attachments

• aa map to edit.jpg
    aa map to edit.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
ACTP0828 AA.JPG

byegad

Legendary Member
I was about to say that I didn't remember the 12th of May being that stormy, 🤔 but then I realised you're not from our Boston. 🙄

Excellent, riding in fresh snow is the best. Making fresh tracks.
yes. so rare for me. after it's down & hardens up, it's not pleasant

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Weather looks harsh and unforgiving, but I bet there is a certain inner calm that comes from being out in nature by yourself and getting through it.

You could have taken the easy option and sat by a warm fire, but you didn't. Hats off to you.

Weather looks harsh and unforgiving, but I bet there is a certain inner calm that comes from being out in nature by yourself and getting through it.

You could have taken the easy option and sat by a warm fire, but you didn't. Hats off to you.
thanks, it's always a gamble going out in bad weather, wondering if I'll regret it. rarely do. glad I stopped to take some stationary video clips. hard to capture the peace & serenity & the sound of flakes falling to the ground. also hard to capture are the waves of snow blowing in the wind. detail gets lost on youtube. I think I can see the waves in the air at the grassy field. but it was even more visible to my eye when I stopped at the river. I think it was too dark to see w/ a cheap sportcam

Top Bottom