Straight or Curved Carbon forks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I'm hopefully getting a Ti bike built up with comfort as the primary and speed secondary.

The frame has curved seat stays for comfort but what are your thoughts about curved carbon forks over straight?

TBH, curved forks will make about as much difference as curved seat stays - ie not much. It's more for aesthetics than anything else...

Koga

I thought curved forks means that the centre of the wheel is further away from steering column, which makes the bike easier (less direct steering) to ride. Depending on the stiffness of the fork, I also expect the curved version to "absorb" more vibration.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I thought curved forks means that the centre of the wheel is further away from steering column, which makes the bike easier (less direct steering) to ride. Depending on the stiffness of the fork, I also expect the curved version to "absorb" more vibration.

Curved or straight, it makes no difference to the position of the wheel. The same rake can be achieved with both designs.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Indeed with s straight fork they are generally forward of the centre of the steerer and with a curved fork this distance (rake) is greater.

It is not, since the curve of the fork provides the rake, wheras on a straight bladed fork, the rake is achieved by having them protrude from the steerer at an angle. Same amount of rake, achieved in different ways.

PpPete

Legendary Member
TBH, curved forks will make about as much difference as curved seat stays - ie not much. It's more for aesthetics than anything else...
Other things being equal I'd expect curved seat stays to make quite a bit of difference on a titanium frame.
Carbon forks - too many variables to be able to generalise, but curved forks are perhaps unlikely to be designed for maximum stiffness/speed, and anyway they just look better.

Koga

There is no inherent difference in rake between a curved blade fork and a sdtraight blade fork. What you are saying is just plain wrong.
OK not a problem, I just thought rake is the distance from the centre line of the fork to the drop out in which case the curved version would normally have a greater rake.

Top Bottom