Stranded Racing Pigeon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The only pigeon race I have ever seen was quite by accident one day when I was passing through Thurso (of all places). All the pigeons were there waiting in the lorries, waiting for their long distance flights back to Essex and the likes, but also there were some small cages with 'lost' birds in them, which would be released along with the rest of the birds with the idea that they would get home THIS time.

I'm sure that if you were to contact the relevant people, then they will probably be able to give you the correct advice as to how to catch it, and if there are any local people, who knows, they might even come out and get it for you!

If captured, it can be released at the next race.

OP
OP
Turdus philomelos
I think feeding it was your mistake. The same happened to my Mum - this pigeon flew over her head as she was weeding in the garden, hit the garage and sat on the path looking a bit stunned. She didn't want t handle it for fear of hurting it but could see it's leg ring, so rang the RSPCA and they said to give it water but not food (or it would think it had a new home) and if possible, protect it from foxes. She was able to lower the guinea pig run over it and left it overnight. Next morning, she took the run away, it walked back to where it had hit the garage wall, turned round a couple of times and then flew off.

Doesn't help you much I know. Can you get a net over it? A kiddie's fishing net or something?

I suppose that does makes sence but I'm such a soft touch, though in my defence it was advice I got from the Racing Pigeon Ass. website. I will stop feeding it tomorrow, I have to give him his last supper.

I did try the large sheet but I only managed to spook him. It seems to a a sixth sence of when I am about to pounce.

taxing

It'll be just like Lady and the Tramp! Upper class pigeon is shown how to survive in the wild by bad boy street rat (with wings). They have spaghetti bolognese. Upper class pigeon then tames the bad boy street rat and takes him home. They have babies at Christmas.

montage

God Almighty
You fed it?
Big mistake. Unless you catch it and ring the owner you now have a pest for life.

At our old house, we found a racing pidgeon, managed to catch it, kept it overnight in a box (with holes and food etc) and the owner came the next day to pick it up. No problem.

Recently (within the last year) another pidgeon landed in our house, looking tired and mopey etc etc. So we gave him food - but couldn't catch him. He hung around for a week, pestering us at open windows and that. It was cute....but began to get annoying. Eventually we caught him, rung the owner who told us to release him a distance away from our house, and it would fly to him. So pidgey was taken to the middle of the southdowns and released. Sorted.

Or not. Two days later, my parents were in the study and heard a "pitter patter pitter patter", turned round and were greeted by pidgey who had come in through the open door in our conservatory, through our kitchen, through the hallway into the study. After this, the owner agreed to come collect said bird.

Now, the worst bird incident, one which still pisses me off on a daily basis.

The Doves.

A few roads away a family used to keep many doves in a dove cotte - about 20 or so. About a year ago, they knocked this cotte down, because the doves were annoying them. Shame there has been no action taken on this as these doves are very domesticated. Anyway, the number of doves soon reduced, and now there are a pair of them who kept hanging around our house. Feeling generous, one of us in the family of 4 fed them. The doves grew more and more clingy, coming to open windows and making the most annoying noise. It was still funny, and cute to have these beautiful white birds around. The my dad, thinking he was a funny fcker put bird seed on my windowsills without me knowing. He did this reguarly and now the doves will not piss off. I have found them inside the house a few times, but the most annoying this is that every morning, they come to my windows (which I leave open to sleep) and make the most annoying noise you could imagine. If I am asleep or not there, they will come inside my room. I always scare them away but they come back after less than a minute - not always back to the same window (I have 3). They will do this for up to 20 minutes, one window, then another, then another, making the terrible noise. At 4am this can be infuriating.
If I ever catch one of them, it is dead. I will feel no remorse, no guilt. It will die.

montage

God Almighty
Pigeons, like rabbits and rats are verminous!

So are Doves

OP
OP
Turdus philomelos
Lifes a learning curve I know, but joking aside, I'm a HUGE animal lover and a big, big softey, if it was a wild animal/bird I would leave well alone, however this poor thing was bred of sport&intertainmant and just feel I've got it get it back home. What happens to it after that I wont know, but it at least I know I've done my bit. It's spent the night on our roof in all that rain and wind poor thing. If it did walk into the caravan it then would be easier to catch it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Like I wrote earlier, if it gets home it will be killed; the whole principle of pigeon breeding is that you wring the necks of the ones who are late home and keep the fast ones for breeding. It's simplified breeding for people who can't afford pedigree dogs with stoopid kennel names like Amelia Winterbourne Radleigh.

montage

God Almighty
Like I wrote earlier, if it gets home it will be killed; the whole principle of pigeon breeding is that you wring the necks of the ones who are late home and keep the fast ones for breeding. It's simplified breeding for people who can't afford pedigree dogs with stoopid kennel names like Amelia Winterbourne Radleigh.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, seeing as one racing pidgeon's owner drove 6 hours to collect it, and the other drove 3. A lot of effort to kill a bird!

Top Bottom