Stranded Racing Pigeon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On Sunday afternoon a racing pigeon flew down and promptly took up residence under our static caravan. Thinking he was just a bit exhausted and would soon be on his way, I gave him some water and wild bird seed which he scoffed.

Advice on the interent was to capture the pigeon and then contact the racing pigeon organisation with the number so he could get back home. We tried this but we were unable to capture him/her and has now made him very wary of us. It sits under the van in the middle so its imposssible to get at him. My worry is that the local fox might get him.

Somebody out there must be fretting where their 'Scarlet' is.

Any advice?

Attachments

• P1020935.JPG
    P1020935.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 35
  • P1020934.JPG
    P1020934.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 34

Globalti

Legendary Member
It will fly off when it recovers..... then get its neck wrung by its owner.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Uncle had a pigeon that stopped off in Berwick on way back to Leeds from Dundee... collected him in his basket. Took him to the next race and he flew straight back to Berwick.... so collected again and mated him to a resident female to re-focus his mind on home!

If your pigeon has a ring with a number you can ring the National Racing Pigeon Society or Club [or whatever they're called these days] to report the number and they may be able to trace the owner... if it's really fast it's worth a lot of money, so may even be a reward. If not, then it's goodbye pigeon.

Can't believe I've taken this seriously!
smile.gif

Re-read and see you've tried capture.... if it still evades you then it's not your problem...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Uncle had a pigeon that stopped off in Berwick on way back to Leeds from Dundee... collected him in his basket. Took him to the next race and he flew straight back to Berwick.... so collected again and mated him to a resident female to re-focus his mind on home!

I have that problem with Burnley! I spent too many years working there and now I keep ending up back out that way on my bike. If any female resident of Hebden Bridge would like to volunteer to refocus my mind on home, please apply through the usual channels!   ;)

OP
OP
Turdus philomelos
Thanks all for some of your pratical and not so practical advice. I'm just a lover of all animals and I hate to think of the poor thing being in any sort of distress. Will try the food under the box with stick and string trick next maybe.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think feeding it was your mistake. The same happened to my Mum - this pigeon flew over her head as she was weeding in the garden, hit the garage and sat on the path looking a bit stunned. She didn't want t handle it for fear of hurting it but could see it's leg ring, so rang the RSPCA and they said to give it water but not food (or it would think it had a new home) and if possible, protect it from foxes. She was able to lower the guinea pig run over it and left it overnight. Next morning, she took the run away, it walked back to where it had hit the garage wall, turned round a couple of times and then flew off.

Doesn't help you much I know. Can you get a net over it? A kiddie's fishing net or something?

snorri

Legendary Member
Catch it by rigging a light tarpaulin and dropping it over the bird, keeping as far away as possible from the bird.. :smile:
A net is not suitable as you need to keep the bird in the dark otherwise it panics and could get damaged in its efforts to free itself from the net.
Sorry Arch.;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Catch it by rigging a light tarpaulin and dropping it over the bird, keeping as far away as possible from the bird.. :smile:
A net is not suitable as you need to keep the bird in the dark otherwise it panics and could get damaged in its efforts to free itself from the net.
Sorry Arch.;)

No, good point. I was sort of thinking of one of those little nets you get at the seaside, which tend to have a fairly rigid mesh, sso the bird wouldn't get too tangled. But some cloth would be better, of you can get it over the bird - my other thought about a net was that with a long handle, you could keep your distance and catch the bird under the caravan.

Top Bottom