Strange day..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys,

Managed to get a few hours off to go riding today; set out about 11am and did a 39.56 miles with 498m of ascent in 02:23:06. I can't put my finger on why I didn't feel great today, I had a rest day, normal nutrition, tires pumped to the normal PSI but I just felt there was nothing there! I felt quite normal on the road, though my average pace was not as high as usual but on the hills I faded awfully. Usually I'd be quicker over 40miles but today I just didn't have it!

Any suggestions or is it just an off day? I can't pin-point anything different to any other ride? The cold maybe?

Thanks guys,
C

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No-one knows. 1 bad performance doesn't give clues to anything.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

No-one knows. 1 bad performance doesn't give clues to anything.

I guess you're right, I just felt significantly worse than i'd always be but I just couldn't pin point anything that was different. I suppose my next ride will give me more answers; I've been going really well recently (for me) so it was a big shock..

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's an average of over 16 mph! With 1650 ft of climb and nobody to take turns on the front that's respectable!

Maybe the space/time continuum in your brain is a bit out of sync after the world ended in December?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have found this on longer rides and it was cured by eating something during the ride, a banana or a cereal bar or somesuch.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

That's an average of over 16 mph! With 1650 ft of climb and nobody to take turns on the front that's respectable!

Maybe the space/time continuum in your brain is a bit out of sync after the world ended in December?

Yea it was really strange; on the flat I was averaging slightly less than normal but not by much but on the hills I lost a lot of time, completely faded! I must have lost 10/15minutes compared to normal overall on the hilly bits; I was spinning really low gears compared to how i'd usually climb to prevent my legs dying!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the ride though- that counts for a lot. Just really strange feeling my legs fade over the hills like that...

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

I have found this on longer rides and it was cured by eating something during the ride, a banana or a cereal bar or somesuch.

Yea- I can see your point; I'd though about that but my nutrition over the 40miles was identical to any of the other 40 rides i'd do so it sort of remains a constant: Big bowl of porridge before leaving, 2 550ml bottles one with water one with juice, 1 banana and 1 flap jack in the jersey.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Perhaps you're fighting something off... have a bacon roll and some beechams powders !

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Perhaps you're fighting something off... have a bacon roll and some beechams powders !

Yea could be! I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I enjoyed getting out- which is important to me.

Think I'll wait to Sunday to ride again, couple of rest days, plenty of water and all that. Hopefully normality will resume by then.

Thanks guys, it's always interesting to compare things to other experiences.
C

Biker Joe

Über Member
Do you go out every day? When was the last time you went out.
I'm thinking if you go out every day, then you may need a rest day or two.
If you haven,t been out for a while perhaps you've had too much time off.
Just some thoughts.
It's been mild just lately. Perhaps the switch to cold weather grabbed your muscles. No time to acclimatise to new temps.
Can't think of anything else at present.
Perhaps its a one off. You'll see on your next ride.
I hope it all goes well.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Thanks Joe,

I last went riding on Tuesday (Night ride after lectures), that was 30miles with 300m of ascent according to the log- I don't like going massive distances at night. I did another 40 on the Sunday before that. Perhaps after the Christmas break 110 miles this week has taken it's tole (My weeks run Sunday-Sunday). Usually I ride around 140-200 miles a week but I did take 10 days off at Christmas...

Today was the coldest I've ridden in this winter, around -1/-2 for most of the ride.

I think it's probably something to do with 10 days off then straight back into my usual riding routine; perhaps I should have ridden less on the first week back- a little nieve perhaps.

Like you say, two days off and a good rest up and Sunday will be a better indicator.

Thanks,
C

Globalti

Legendary Member
Actually now you mention it, I did have a similar experience last year when I went out in very cold damp weather and felt terrible. Maybe temperature can affect performance.

Also you do need 2 - 3 days to recover after a good ride, more if it's a humdinger.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

Actually now you mention it, I did have a similar experience last year when I went out in very cold damp weather and felt terrible. Maybe temperature can affect performance.

Also you do need 2 - 3 days to recover after a good ride, more if it's a humdinger.

Yeah- Possibly.

I've always had 1 day of rest for 30-40mile rides, 2/3 days for anything longer/more intense; perhaps I need to increase the rest due to taking time off over Christmas until i'm fully in condition again.

C

Top Bottom