Strange feeling from steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DB8416

My trusty rigid Specialized Rockhopper (yes - it's that old) that's used for my daily commute, has developed a strange gyroscopic feel to the steering, when travelling fast in a straight line. Can anyone tell me what's causing it ?

Thanks

As in, doesn't like turning but likes pointing straight?

If you lift the front end and turn the bars how does the headset feel. Smooth, notchy, stiff. If any of them then it may well need replacing or adjusting.

OP
OP
D

DB8416

Thanks for the reply Crackle. I can best describe it as having the same steering feel as when you have a toy gyroscope spinning on your hand in that it is always feels as if it is pulling but never going in any particular direction. I can turn no problem. I have just gone out and done as you suggest and the headset definitely feels both slightly stiff and notchy. I presume that means replacing the headset or can it be adjusted?

DB8416 said:
Thanks for the reply Crackle. I can best describe it as having the same steering feel as when you have a toy gyroscope spinning on your hand in that it is always feels as if it is pulling but never going in any particular direction. I can turn no problem. I have just gone out and done as you suggest and the headset definitely feels both slightly stiff and notchy. I presume that means replacing the headset or can it be adjusted?

Well headset adjustment is not my strong point as it's a good few years since I've done one but the Park tools website should show you how to grease and adjust it and it might well be worth a try first, however notchy is never good so it could well need replacing.

Also, has the frame had any knocks i.e. is it straight, wheels in dropouts properly, brakes not rubbing, just to eliminate any other suspects.

By the way nowt wrong with a Rockhopper rigid my Marin is of a similiar vintage.

OP
OP
D

DB8416

I will check everything else, but the notchy feel is definitely there. It's given me good service over the years and it deserves a new part. I'll get it checked out, but our local cycle shops are backlogged for weeks. Might try and learn on this bike as my other option was to get a new one through the cycle to work scheme. I would be loath to give up the Specialized though as it's part of me now. Are you aware of any good sites (will look at the one you have suggested) that cover servicing from a budding beginner perspective (of course I am going to dispense with the years of dedicated training!). Thanks

OP
OP
D

DB8416

You are correct Mickle. It has been bullet proof up to now. I have moved closer to work now, but before that was doing a 20 mile round trip daily, five days a week. I know what you are thinking - why didn't I get a road bike ? Most of it was town riding and nothing beats a good rigid with narrow tyres for sheer fun in the town.

OP
OP
D

DB8416

Thanks Crackle. Will either have a newly tuned and serviced Rockhopper for a few years yet, or enough new parts to construct a washing machine.

Hello,

The Head stock bearing have gone tight, I take it it feels like it doesn't wish to steer when you do and then suddenly you have steered tooooo much. You can try loosening them, a bit if this is possible or you may just need to replace, a bit of oil into the bearings will most likely cure the problem as well. Lube the bearings from the top and bottom you may have to turn the bike upside down to do this.

The chances are using it in the rain has slowly washed the lube from the bearings, the oil thing should save you if they haven't go to far or at least improve the steering a little.

Really you should strip the thing and regrease if the bearings seem OK as the oil will get washed out quite quickly in wet weather but it will at least prove if the problem is caused by this.

Just thought of something which if the oil thing works may save you stripping the thing and will last a lot longer than oil ! You can get spray grease from most car shops, or chain lube for motorbikes should do the job ( I dare say you can get this from a bike shop as well). It sprays like a fine oil but then fairly rapidly thickens up into a grease should give it time to work into the bearings.

Top Bottom