Strange Foot Pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have developped some strange pain in my right foot, it started about 10 days ago, when I got off my bike, thought I must have just stepped off it awkwardly, because my foot started hurting all of a sudden (on the outside of my foot, sort of halfway down the middle, where the arch is on the opposite side). I didn't notice it then when cycling, it only started hurting again when I got off the bike and walked around. But now it hurts quite badly every time I stop and start and I can feel it constantly when walking (although it's only slightly painful then), although once I'm properly on the bike, I can usually get rid of the pain by wriggling my foot about into a different position.

It's a really weird pain, hard to describe, a bit like something between the onset of a cramp and a dropped bone. Bit worried as it worse now than it was and there is only a week to go till Amsterdame... Anybody got any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it???

Tynan

Veteran
assuming that cycling isn't causing it I'd not worry, the few times I've pulled or tweaked something in my feet it took a long time to completely get better,, too many muscles all working together all the time

doctor?

Jonathan M

Thicker socks in cycling shoes meaning foot is constricted?

I've had foot/ankle pain in the left foot for a long time now, getting on for a year, and it seems to be a combination of plantar fascitis and an old ankle injury from hill walking over 15 years ago simply rearing its ugly head as I get older, aggravated by an increase in the hours pedalling either in the gym or on the road.

This website makes for interesting reading: http://www.medicinenet.com/foot_pain/article.htm

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
monkeymunden said:
Hello PP,

Did you ever suss out what had caused your pain? I only ask as I woke up this morning with almost identical symptoms and though it was cramp but it I can't seem to shift it like normal cramp.

Cheers,

Monkey

Not sure what it was, but I had started doing longer distances in a different pair of shoes (I think they were slightly too big), swapped shoes, problem cured!

punkypossum said:
Not sure what it was, but I had started doing longer distances in a different pair of shoes (I think they were slightly too big), swapped shoes, problem cured!

Were they both cycling shoes? Had the same pain caused by cycling a day in soft soled shoes on a borrowed bike. Really bad. I could hardly walk the next day.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've just seen a podiatrist for the same thing, though not caused by cycling. It was my perineal tendon hurting (just to confirm that is in your foot, and nothing to do with your bum).

Apparently it's caused when your foot rolls over on to the outside repeatedly, so wearing soft shoes or similar could definitely cause it as your feet will flop over to the outside with each downward pedal stroke.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Crackle said:
Were they both cycling shoes? Had the same pain caused by cycling a day in soft soled shoes on a borrowed bike. Really bad. I could hardly walk the next day.

They were both skate type shoes, but the ones that caused the pain were bigger and bendier...

The rolling over the outside explanation makes sense, especially as it only hurt in my right foot, and when not clipless I have a habit of having half my foot hanging over the side of the pedal on that side.

I have had this - a really dreadful griping stabby ache on the outside of the foot after a long ride - sometimes comes along when you put your foot down on the floor after pedalling for a long time?

I hobbled around going 'ow ow ow' and the iced it for a while. Kept off it for a day or so, and am now very careful when I put my foot down - go for toe first rather than the whole of the foot.

Thanks all,

I took a couple of days off the bike and had a light week last week and the foot's definitely better. After reading a few posts and sites with similar advice / comments posted here I'm now concentrating more on my pedaling and taking some time for a few stretches if I've cycled further than my usual commute of 8-11 miles (depends on which way I go). Slightly thicker socks will definitely be going on tomorrow though that's more the weather.

Cheers,

monkey:smile:

jimboalee

I had a pair of Sidi Genius 3. They were supposed to be good, and I regularly got the pain you describe. They wern't the correct width fitting !
Paid a visit to my LBS, now I ride in Specialized Body Geometry. No pains for two years.
Tried on various shoes and found Spesh to be wider than others.

B13

I get a strange (and bloomin' painful!!) thing happen from time to time where my middle toe goes into a total spasm and ends up pointing skywards with the underside of my foot in total agony!!

I'm then reduced to hopping around yelling, "OW OW OW!!!", clutching my foot, trying to force my middle toe back down.

Any ideas?

:sad:

Top Bottom