Strange happening whilst cleaning bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
After yesterday's epic ride (for me) the bike was in need of some TLC before Sunday's effort.
Bike in stand and whilst shifting to highest gear to remove rear wheel the cable broke. :eek:
Off to LBS for new inner and outers and after a bit of faffing all was well apart from the scruffy bar tape so new tape fitted, the new tape is nice and thick but it was a devil to get something like.

Anyway, the cable broke inside the shifter never had one break before. Is this common?

The shifting yesterday was as smooth as ever.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
When I replace mine there is always invariably some wear or fraying within the shifters. Common.

Venod

Eh up
I have had one break in the shifter, I managed to adjust the derailleur to the 17 sprocket, the hills on the way home were interesting.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have had one break in the shifter, I managed to adjust the derailleur to the 17 sprocket, the hills on the way home were interesting.
Yep, mine snapped just as I was trying to change down for the steepest & most hated hill on my ride. Gave me an excuse to walk up.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same happened to my cycling buddy's shifter. Or at least almost happened as the cable was frayed down to one strand. So mechanically unsympathetic is he though that he hadn't checked but just mentioned that he couldn't get his smallest two or three cogs. Lord knows how long it had been like that.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Had it happen twice, luckily first time about 100 yards from home, second time on the work stand whilst fettling.
So I now know I get about 2500 miles out of a cable, which reminds me, must go and check ...

wonderloaf

Veteran
Had it happen twice, luckily first time about 100 yards from home, second time on the work stand whilst fettling.
So I now know I get about 2500 miles out of a cable, which reminds me, must go and check ...

Top Bottom