Strange Heart Rate Increase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berrymoss

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with...

I was hyperthyroid about 12 months ago. I then had my thyroid zapped with radioactive iodine.
I then went hypothyroid as my thyroid had been totally destroyed.

I've now been on 150 ug thyroxine for about 8 months and my latest blood results have come back good.
Great I thought, as I'd been having a few heart palpitations when it was both Hyper and Hypo.

So I was out for a 3hr bike ride yesterday going along steadily at a HR of 125bpm when all of a sudden my HR started to rise. It went from 125, to 130, to 135, and up to 145 at which point I stopped cycling. I was starting to panic a bit at this point as I thought I had sorted all of these issues out now. I carried on rising up to 154bpm. Now I realise this isn't high, but I'd stopped riding at this point, and the road hadn't got any tougher when my HR went from 125 to 154bpm.

This has happened to me twice now in the last 2 months. My HR eventually drops back down a few minutes after I stop exercising.

Could this be down to my thyroid? Or could it be that my body releases a burst of adrenalin when I panic, that makes it go even higher?

A colleague has suggested I might even be Anaemic. Could this produce these symptoms?

I'm about to make an appointment to see my endocrinologist.

Thanks and hope someone can answer.

amaferanga

Veteran
Before you start worrying are you sure your HR monitor isn't at fault? Power lines, radio masts and a build up of static caused by flapping jerseys can all cause erroneous readings.

Alun

Guru
Berrymoss,

I would ask these questions of a medical professional, people on this forum are well meaning but not necessarily medically qualified.

The chance of identifying an answer on here from someone with the correct knowledge is very slim. You might get some advice given in good faith, but that makes your condition worse.

I hope you can get the problem sorted.

Good Luck !!

jimboalee

Were your HR readings from your HRM while cycling?

When you stopped in panic, did you do a manual pulse rate test with your fingers on wrist and the second hand of your wristwatch?

I would suggest you do a 'step test'

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/havard.htm

You can calculate the amount of Work you are doing by multiplying your bodyweight kg by g ( 9.81 ) and multiplying that by 0.5 ( because you are lifting every 2 seconds ) and then multiplying by 0.45 m.

This gives J/s which is the same as Watts.

It just so happens an 80kg bloke is exerting 176 Watts which is conveniently 1/4 horsepower.

NOW... DURING the test.... If your HR goes OVER 80% Max ( Max = 220 - age ), STOP and go to your Doctor.

jimboalee

Were your HR readings from your HRM while cycling?

When you stopped in panic, did you do a manual pulse rate test with your fingers on wrist and the second hand of your wristwatch?

I would suggest you do a 'step test'

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/havard.htm

You can calculate the amount of Work you are doing by multiplying your bodyweight kg by g ( 9.81 ) and multiplying that by 0.5 ( because you are lifting every 2 seconds ) and then multiplying by 0.45 m.

This gives J/s which is the same as Watts.

It just so happens an 80kg bloke is exerting 176 Watts which is conveniently 1/4 horsepower.

NOW... DURING the test.... If your HR goes OVER 80% Max ( Max = 220 - age ), STOP and go to your Doctor.

PS

Cheap Casio analogue wristwatch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-MQ-24-7BLL-Analogue-Resin-Strap/dp/B000JNKABW

Easy to read.... and for £7, it don't matter if it gets smashed to pieces if I fall off my bike.

Mine has a 'Daily rate' of +0.25 seconds.

"Today's mission chaps, is to ride our bikes round a 108 km route, dropping our payload at the cafe in Bridgnorth. Syncronise watches".

Top Bottom