Strange hole for BB cable guide (cotic roadrat)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Just won a roadrat frame on eBay I'm in the process of building up. Where the cable guide should fit there's a 8-10mm threadless hole underneath the bottom bracket, as opposed to the usual small threaded one. It's also offset rearwards a little, as opposed to directly under the BB.

Anyone know what BB cable guide I need for this? I've had a bit of a rummage on google but not come up with anything.

Wiltshire-20121103-00226.jpg

compo

Veteran
Post deleted.

zzpza

It's not entirely dissimilar to the one on my 1980's Dawes Galaxy that also just has an unthreaded hole that a plastic plug in the cable guide slots into.

6289094523_4954cf9cb5_z.jpg
Cable Guide by zzpza, on Flickr

I would contact Cotic or a Cotic dealer, as I would assume it's a bespoke part. :sad:

HovR

Über Member
If you can't find the part (I haven't seen one like that before, either) it should be fairly easy to drill and tap a 5mm hole for a traditional cable guide.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
It's not entirely dissimilar to the one on my 1980's Dawes Galaxy that also just has an unthreaded hole that a plastic plug in the cable guide slots into...

I would contact Cotic or a Cotic dealer, as I would assume it's a bespoke part. :sad:

Nice build! Yes, I will do. I was kind of hoping it was off-the-shelf and I'd get an order in the pipeline before Monday morning - hence asking here. Always some silly thing to stop you building up in one session.

If you can't find the part (I haven't seen one like that before, either) it should be fairly easy to drill and tap a 5mm hole for a traditional cable guide.

I wanted to avoid this (and I'm lacking power tools) but it might be easiest. I lugged the frame to the LBS and they told me I might as well just stick another hole thru the BB.

Not sure why there's such a non-standard cable guide on the Roadrat - there doesn't seem any need for it. Then again people tend to run them with hub gears so maybe I'm missing something.

Top Bottom