Strange Peugeot Partner electrical problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I replaced my car battery recently when the engine failed to turn over and I cannot get any clues to a problem. Alternator is charging normally according to the AA guy.
A battery symbol light was flashing when ignition on but goes out when engine starts. New battery and light is steady when ignition is on but if engine not run for a couple of days the light starts flashing again tho' there is enough power to start ok. It suggests a current leakage somewhere when ignition is off. Anybody had this problem and where did you look?
My local garage [the only garage] is severely short staffed so getting any assistance anytime soon is not likely.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's anything like ours I would suggest ignore it. It frequently does that and there was never an issue in the 5 years we've had the car.

It seems that if you've the alarm it drains a bit of the battery and the sensor gets scared.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Do the basics. Disconnect the battery overnight (clears any fault codes in ecu). While it’s disconnected charge it (helps rule out alternator). Before reconnecting clean the contacts with wet n dry paper and make sure they are tight.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See if there is any buzzing or warmth in the alternator when the engine has been off a few hours ? Could be a parasitic drain from a faulty alternator - our Aygo has just done the same - they basically turn into a 'motor' but can't move due to the belt when they go faulty. Ours was still charging.

Tried a new battery, dead overnight, Tested the battery after a charge, and could see it dropping voltage more quickly than it should. Poking about I could hear a very faint buzz - nothing should be on. Pulled out various connectors, still there, then noticed the alternator was warm.

Faulty diodes basically or voltage regulator, causing power to flow back to the alternator. A new one fixed it.

Top Bottom