Strange question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
why do so many pigeons in London have only one foot? Once I noticed this phenomenon today I started keeping a note, and I reckon a good third of them needed wheelchairs.

What causes so many missing pigeon feet?

Also there are so so many pigeons, it's unreal. They don't live long, so why isn't London knee deep in pigeon cadavers? Where do the stiffs go?

Trust me, there's a lot going on with pigeons that we don't know about.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I often wondered about that as well as lots of pigeons in Birmingham have/had only 1 foot as well. ^_^

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Anyone who watches urban pigeons has probably noticed birds with injured or missing toes and feet. One of the most common problems that feral pigeons have is something we call “stringfoot.” Pigeons need twigs, straw or hay to build nests, but in urban areas, they are more likely to find string, wire and human hair. When they spend 12 hours of every day for 3 weeks out of every month in their nests, their toes become entangled in the nest materials, which leads to constriction, necrosis, infection, etc. If you can catch and untangle these poor birds, they can recover and survive very well, even with missing toes or stumps for feet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Check the area for hairdressers. The greater the number of hairdressers in an area, the greater the risk of damaged feet to birds.

Results of a recent study.

It is a good question.

It is caused by a type of mite. Mites are arachnids but these ones are small and infest the feet of birds and cause the deformation that cripples urban pigeons but also wild birds. I've seen wagtails with the same infliction.

It can be cured (but not the damage caused) with a wash of sorts. I would imagine it is the same type of treatment as that for mange.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We had a one legged pigeon in our garden a year or so ago, then it vanished. We thought it had met a feline death ☠
Maybe it packed it's bags, headed south, to see if the street of London really are paved with gold.

Top Bottom