Strange reasoning behind a new speed limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
"To the occupier
Dear Sir/Madam

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that North Yorkshire County Council is looking to implement a 20mph speed limit within the area shown on the attached plan.

A recent traffic survey has shown that vehicle speeds in the vicinity of the school are below 24mph, which is the threshold at which a 20mph speed limit can be introduced and deemed to be self-enforcing. NO physical traffic calming measures are required (e.g. speed cushions, etc). However, in order to implement this 20mph speed limit, signs, posts and road markings are required to highlight the area in which the speed limit is applicable. Every care will be taken to ensure that the signs and posts do not inconvenience adjacent properties."

If I've read this right, they're saying that they're introducing a speed limit, because they've more or less shown that there's no need for one.

Comments, anyone?

domtyler

Über Member
November 13th 2009.

North Yorkshire County Council are pleased to announce today that they have implemented over a hundred miles of new 20mph limited roadways in residential streets and that there has been more than 99% compliance. "This a remarkable achievement that has taken many years of hard work and dedication by all involved" said Councillor Smith yesterday.

domtyler

Über Member
Is there something in the fact that if the majority of drivers think that the appropriate speed is below 24mph then the idiots should be made to drive at the same?

No

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Given the nature of the area, it's pretty well physically impossible to drive much over 20 mph. To be honest, the scheme seems to be spending unnecessary money on what will be a bit of an eyesore.

We've proposed that they apply the 20mph limit to the whole of the west end of the village. This would be much more rational (limit would apply to areas where it's physically possible to do 35, but very unwise), would only need 3 sets of signs rather than 4, would make a large area safer, and would at least spread the visual pollution of speed signs a bit thinner (currently they propose four sets within 150m of each other). We'll see what they do.

I can post the plans of their proposals (and mine) for comments if anyone's interested...

It's just the idea of imposing a rule that's almost impossible to break that seems perverse. As Dom hints, maybe the idea is to claim it as a terrific success in years time...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
They've done this all over Cumbria. I guess they have targets for introducing a set amount of 20mph roads and by designating roads where it's impossible to do any faster, they can meet their obligations without upsetting the car lobby. Troutbeck village is full of 20mph signs where doing 10 is good going.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sounds like North Yorkshire Police/North Yorkshire politics. I suspect they do have targets and as North Yorkshire Police/Authorities are generally regarded as extremely poor on speeding, DUI, etc it's a few gimmes.

roshi chris

The 85th percentile speed of surveyed vehicles will be below 24mph, a few however will no doubt be doing 30ish. By lowering the legal limit you effectively criminalise everyone going over 20, giving the local police/ cps another tool to stop people doing what is clearly an inappropriately high speed (ie 30).

Its very normal highway engineering i'm afraid; nothing sinister!

Top Bottom