Strange sound from back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldcoast

Had my first visit from the fairy yesterday :sad: so while changing the inner tube on the back wheel I noticed a strange sound. While turning the wheel (racing 7) to inspect any damage I can only describe the noise as a bit like a tinkly wind chime eh???

I guess something is inside the hub?? But is it serious, easy to fix?
Cheers!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Had my first visit from the fairy yesterday :sad: so while changing the inner tube on the back wheel I noticed a strange sound. While turning the wheel (racing 7) to inspect any damage I can only describe the noise as a bit like a tinkly wind chime eh???

I guess something is inside the hub?? But is it serious, easy to fix?
Cheers!
It could also be a stray spoke nipple inside the chamber of the rim, these can get in there when the machine loses one and the guy snagging/fault checking/final tensioning doesn't notice and just thinks its missed one or dropped it elsewhere. You can sometimes get them out with tweezers I did but got some funny looks from Mazzo for spending an hour on my back under the bike trying to locate the little begger:cursing:

could just be the free hub, they are a touch noisy on Fulcrum's... especially if it is a fast noise rather than a once a revolution noisy, if you get my drift.
think it is the pawls (?) that need replacing (or greasing) when they get really bad - have noticed that after 12 months use on my racing 7 CX;s, they are noisier than they used to be. Can you hear it when you are cycling and not pedalling (freewheeling)? I can on mine.

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

Thanks for the reply!

it's kind of a weird one and hard to explain. I'm thinking it's sand, you can hear it moving around as you rotate the wheel - a bit like in those children rain toys. Anyway gave the bike a wash & clean and now the noise has gone :wacko:

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

No I couldn't hear it while I was freewheeling, apart from the normal fulcrum clicking. I could only hear it when I had taken the wheel of the bike to change the inner tube.

Top Bottom