Strange train pricing (again).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was looking at train fares from my local station to Lockerbie (southern Scotland, on the west coast main line) as I am thinking about doing a ride from there to home over the weekend coming.
A single to Lockerbie was coming in at £23.60

Screenshot (7).png

On checking fares to Carlisle, the next stop south on the same line, the cheapest fare comes in at £20.30. Then it struck me - the fares are both for the SAME train! (Edit - the 0906 from Glasgow central, arriving Lockerbie 1007 and Carlisle 1028)

Screenshot (8).png

No prizes for guessing what I will be doing, if I decide to go ahead and do this ride....

Last edited:
U

User33236

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
If you buy a Carlisle ticket but get off at Lockerbie, I daresay you wouldn't have any problems at the station - the National Rail site says it has no ticket gates so it's unlikely anyone would try to look at your ticket there - but if your train is a Virgin West Coast electric train then the conductor/guard has to unlock the bike compartment for you, and you could conceivably have some explaining to do there. Some of the Virgin WC trains are operated by diesel units where you load and unload the bike yourself, so no problem, but I know of no way of finding out which type of train would operate a particular service on a particular day.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you buy a Carlisle ticket but get off at Lockerbie, I daresay you wouldn't have any problems at the station - the National Rail site says it has no ticket gates so it's unlikely anyone would try to look at your ticket there - but if your train is a Virgin West Coast electric train then the conductor/guard has to unlock the bike compartment for you, and you could conceivably have some explaining to do there. Some of the Virgin WC trains are operated by diesel units where you load and unload the bike yourself, so no problem, but I know of no way of finding out which type of train would operate a particular service on a particular day.
Just edited my post above to say it's a Trans Pennine service so the bike stays with you in the passenger carriage. Which obviously makes my escape plan easier :smile:.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's the desperation to get us big spending, generous Scots over the border into England.
There are also some ‘careful’ spenders south of the border too. They say a Yorkshireman is like an Aberdonion with the generosity squeezed out.

Wait until you’re sixty then you can really start making some savings.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That would be a shame. Last time I was over I got a first class ticket from London to Sheffield for sixteen quid, one way, combining my senior rail card and Trainline.

Top Bottom