strange tyre problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out on a run today I had the misfortune to have a visit from the fairy:sad:. Not a major problem as I had a couple of spare tubes. So 15 mins later I was ready to go again. That was fine, but something wasn't quite right at the back. So a bit further along I stopped again to have a look.

My tyres are conti gatorskins and I've probably done about 1300 miles on them now (this is my first fairy visit). However, for some reason when I replaced the tyre it had a variation in the diameter of the tyre. By that I mean as I spin it around it looks like it is going in and out. The rim itself looks ok, it's just the tyre. On closer inspection at home I noticed that the tyre sits further in the rim for a small section, than the rest. I double checked that the tube wasn't causing the problem, and that there were no problems in teh rim (Aksium Race).

Is it possible that I did something to the tyre when I took it off/put it back on? If so, I expect a replacement is the answer.

Any other suggestions?

Young Un

Did you check the otherside of the tyre, to see if it was bulging? If one side is bulgin - ie not sitting in the bead right, then it pulls the other side of the tyre inwards.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Young Un said:
Did you check the otherside of the tyre, to see if it was bulging? If one side is bulgin - ie not sitting in the bead right, then it pulls the other side of the tyre inwards.

Pretty sure it isn't. When I got back home I deflated, removed the tube and replaced it and reseated the tyre. However, it is worth checking again if only to save the cost of a new tyre.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Gerry Attrick said:
The tyre merely needs centering in the rim. Deflate it and sprinkle copious quantities of talcum powder between the rim and tyre. Re-inflate to maximum pressure et voila, your tyre will be as new.

Gerry, I assume you mean in the area that is further out? I'll have to have hunt for talc! :sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Excellent. I'll get the talc at the same time as the baby wipes and sudocreme :angry:.

Are there any other baby products that are a must have for cyclists!? :sad:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The talc worked a treat, although my rear tyre did look a little festive after I finished!:blush:

Now to try your idea about nappies...:blush:

Top Bottom