Strangest cyclist you've ever seen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There's a rasta bloke who rides around Birmingham city centre on a unicycle. With handlebars. It's weird. It's like he's riding something that's not quite just a bike with no front fork. IT has a BB and a chain, but nothing up from.

But what does the chain connect to? I thought that in unicycles the pedals are connected direct to the BB.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
what about these two wrong'uns in purple coats & beige hats?

sofarace.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
Manchester's Mad Cycling Woman is well known to drivers and cyclists around Manchester and Bury. She rides very slowly for miles along the main roads, lopsided and looking awkward on her tourer, brown from the sun, looks about 45, I understand she's very well spoken and is called Virginia or something and is married to a professional.

We marshalled a Crit in Blackburn on Wednesday and some real characters turned up for the public race. One with a flashing light and a siren on his bike and another with his entire bike festooned with lights and bits of black tape, both of them rather odd middle-aged blokes .

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
That picture reminds me: I once saw getting off the ferry at Harwich a load of cloggies who had made a sixteen seater bike by basically welding sixteen bikes together using metal rods in a four times four arrangement. It did look very stable though.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I know. Weird. From the back end to the BB is pretty much the same as a normal bike, but it's got nothing up front other than handlebars. He seems to lean back further than on a unicycle because of the balance difference.

Well now you've explained it it's obvious! Some bastard's nicked his front wheel, haven't they?:tongue:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Strange Stu is the one thats crazy around here.I was sat at traffic lights once and he swore at them, and he rides on the pavement. He also thinks that because he is on a bike on a pavement he hashuge rights, and if he needs to cross the road, car drivers should just stop, so he just keeps going.
He reckons he will get a million pounds and buy a milk float:wacko:
He sat outside the local petrol station laughing and shouting abuse at the people in there buying the petrol when there was that strike on.
:tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not seen Mad Tony in Stockport - must keep an eye out for him as I'm a local. We have a guy from Tameside (that's where I've seen him come from). He used to ride a road bike with jeans and a Raleigh top - pedalled along at 10 mph, but as soon as a roadie passed him, he'd sit on your back wheel - no matter how hard you rode he just sucked your wheel - no-one could shake him off. He never spoke to you....... I know one or two people that just told him to "fcuk off".

Me and a mate passed him one Saturday returning from a race, we in car with bikes on the roof - the guy only starts to chase us.... mate leans out of the window and tells him were to go....argh....had to put my foot down then and hoped the lights were on green.

He moved on to cycling bottoms and a red top - and is still about. We knew he cycled alot as all the club had seen him at all times of day, even as far out as Ashbourne.

sticky sherbert said:
Some years ago I had severall encounters with a mad bloke on a bike in Wolverhampton, usually on the ring road, waving a stick and shouting "F**k off" to everyone and anything he passed. used to give me a good laugh

Did you ever meet the Wolverhampton Cowboy?

Smeggers said:
I saw some woman in Harrogate on a hand painted flouresecent yellow postman bike, with a pith helment covered in tin foil.

All her clothes (and I mean ALL) were hi-vis with bits of tin foil dangling off.

I guess she wanted to be seen.

Maybe the tin foil is to disguise her presence from THEM!

mr Mag00

rising member
there used to be a guy riding around wareham in dorset, no matter what the weather; full wet weather hi vis jacket and full face d/h helmet and i believe what looked like a full long head of hair and beard too, how hot?

Maz

Guru
I didn't see it, but my wife did...cyclist riding the streets of Cambridge in broad daylight completely billy-bollox.

GrahamG

Guru
These are some awesome stories. Not a cyclist, but there's 'goggles man' here in Bristol who walks around in shorts, T-shirt and ski goggles no matter what the weather is.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Saw a lad smoking a fag on his bike this morning. I shouted:

"You wanna get an ashtray mate!"

that's hilarious. i wish more people would shout humorous things at me when i'm cycling along. :biggrin:

Top Bottom