Strava Android App has suddenly become inaccurate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
About a week ago suddenly started only reporting every half a kilometre or so.

So route is inaccurate, segments don't work etc.

Here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_20231108_090737_Strava.jpg

You can see only a few points are reported rather than following the road as normal.

I've tried rebooting the phone, uninstall then re installing the app.

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like GPS is not working properly rather than the app

check that is is enabled and you have not accidentally disabled it
There are also gps testing apps that you can use to just use GPS - at least then you have a clue where the problem might be

it might not be able to get a location from GPS and is using wifi or phone signal data instead - which might be difficult to find away from built up areas

I had a similar problem once and I did a ride of just over 10,000 miles in 90 minutes - mind you it is an ebike!

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sounds like GPS is not working properly rather than the app

check that is is enabled and you have not accidentally disabled it
There are also gps testing apps that you can use to just use GPS - at least then you have a clue where the problem might be

it might not be able to get a location from GPS and is using wifi or phone signal data instead - which might be difficult to find away from built up areas

I had a similar problem once and I did a ride of just over 10,000 miles in 90 minutes - mind you it is an ebike!

The GPS seems to work fine, gives an exact and accurate location in use eg OS app, Chrome browser etc. The points Strava does record do seem to be precisely on the route, just infrequently logged.

It's enabled in the settings on Android and in the Strava app.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
GPS and phones, not terribly accurate.
The GPS in my phone is better than that in my old Garmin devices. It locks on to the satellites in seconds, can get a fix where those devices can't, and is more accurate. Mind you, it was built 15+ years after those devices. It isn't surprising that the technology has improved significantly in that time.

Top Bottom