Strava/garmin question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok probably been answered already so if someone can point me in right direction I would be grateful.

When transferring data from garmin to strava why are there slight differences in speed etc?

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The gps file is basically a long list of (absolute) locations and times. Strava and garmin have slightly different algorithms to convert that into distance and speed. On top of that they may or may not apply elevation corrections.

Darwin

I bought a Forerunner 10 for bike/run/swim use and now I'm wondering should I use this Strava thing instead of Garmin Connect. What are the main differences between these two and how does Strava's upload process work?

Venod

Eh up
I don't know if it makes any difference but I down load all my rides/runs to Garmin Connect then upload the TCX file from the computer to Strava, on Windows 7 Garmin stores the files in

C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\Devices\3814933823\History

Unless your name is Steve substitute your name in the path above.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Using Garmin Connect is so simple on my Mac so I'll probably stick with it.
Nothing to stop you using more than one if you want. I usually download my rides to Garmin first but also have them on Strava and Mapmyride. Garmin is possibly the most accurate at recording the ride data, but Strava is a lot of fun due to the challenges and segments on your rides that give you something to aim for to do them a bit faster than your last time if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Top Bottom