Strava - local activity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Not too long ago I could select a nearby segment and see who's cycled there today. Was I kinda good way if finding new routes and seeing if anyone was cycling in this weather. However I can no longer find this, is this due to the new privacy additions to Strava?

si_c

Guru
Not too long ago I could select a nearby segment and see who's cycled there today. Was I kinda good way if finding new routes and seeing if anyone was cycling in this weather. However I can no longer find this, is this due to the new privacy additions to Strava?
Yes, they changed it so you have to opt in to your activity being visible, whilst this is a good move for privacy it sadly meant the end of this feature. The flyby's feature also died for the same reason.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Are you a paid up subscriber? Strava moved a bunch of features behind the paywall leaving just bare bones available to free subscribers. Perhaps that's why?

Edit: Cross posted with @si_c who seems to have a much more sensible answer.

This is still possible if you're a Strava subscriber. If you're not a subscriber, however, then you can't see full leaderboards, irrespective of whether people allow their rides to be visible. You can see the top ten but you can't break things down into age groups, time periods, age, etc. meaning you can't do what you're trying to do.

As a separate point there are two settings under Settings > Privacy Controls which affect whether rides are visible and where.
- Activities: if you don't set that to 'Everyone' then nothing appears on leaderboards for segments.
- Flyby: this only affects whether you are visible on Flyby.
I believe the default on Activities is 'Everyone' still (but I'm not certain). The default for 'Flyby' is definitely 'No one', however. They changed that a while ago (for what are probably spurious, legal concerns). Gradually, people are noticing and opting back in, but it's taking a while.

Anyway, the main thing preventing your usage is almost certainly the need for a subscription to allow full viewing of leaderboards.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Yes, I am a paid subscriber and can see it on the web version, not the app I use. Oddly enough, if I see someone has gone out locally, it motivates me to get out.

Odd. I never use the Strava phone application but I just installed it and it's showing full leaderboards which I can drill into by time period, age, weight, gender. I can certainly select a segment and see who's been on it today, this week, whatever; I've just done so on several segments. That's on Android - I don't know whether that's true on iOS, but I suspect it is.

I just scrolled down a bit from viewing an activity and drilled into the segments for that activity, but you can get to the segments directly from 'Maps', then 'Segments'.

Seems peculiar that this is not appearing on your device :-\

Top Bottom