Strava or map my ride or other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Decided this is the year to really get back on the bike after 5 or 6 years out the saddle due to various reasons. I have a Garmin 800 but unfortunately my laptop is broken so no way of uploading rides, baffles me why tablets aren't compatible! So just wondering which phone apps people use, and why, and what are the pros and cons?

Dont want to buy a new laptop just to upload rides as use my tablet for everything now.

Aside from the above, 2nd time out this year this morning and had a fall, slipped on the ice, bike ok but im suffering with a badly bruised knee and elbow, plus a jarred shoulder. Luckily nothing worse, but lesson learnt, dont go out early doors until the ice has melted.

vickster

Legendary Member
Strava. V simple to use, although you do now have to pay if you want many of the features

Sharky

Guru
Luckily nothing worse, but lesson learnt, dont go out early doors until the ice has melted.
I learned the hard way as well a couple of years ago. Fractured pelvis and it still plays up. Now very reluctant to go out if it falls below 5°c.
As I am retired, I can cherry pick the days to venture out and Monday looks good next week.

si_c

Guru
Decided this is the year to really get back on the bike after 5 or 6 years out the saddle due to various reasons. I have a Garmin 800 but unfortunately my laptop is broken so no way of uploading rides, baffles me why tablets aren't compatible! So just wondering which phone apps people use, and why, and what are the pros and cons?

Dont want to buy a new laptop just to upload rides as use my tablet for everything now.

Aside from the above, 2nd time out this year this morning and had a fall, slipped on the ice, bike ok but im suffering with a badly bruised knee and elbow, plus a jarred shoulder. Luckily nothing worse, but lesson learnt, dont go out early doors until the ice has melted.
Strava works well if you have limited needs and you can use it with Google maps for navigation at the same time. Depending on what phone you have you can get some really good handlebar mounts for it too.

I'm heading out on the bike in a little bit - I usually wait until early afternoon to go out a this time of year as any ice has usually started to thaw out by then.

You can upload your rides using your tablet, but you will need something called an OTG cable, since the 800 doesn't have bluetooth.
When you plug it in, the tablet should treat the garmin like a storage device.

Sorry to hear about your fall, hope your confidence isn't too knocked. Riding can be tough at this time of year.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You can upload your rides using your tablet, but you will need something called an OTG cable, since the 800 doesn't have bluetooth.
When you plug it in, the tablet should treat the garmin like a storage device.

Sorry to hear about your fall, hope your confidence isn't too knocked. Riding can be tough at this time of year.
if your tablet recognizes the 800 you can always log onto strava via the website , upload , garmin , manual file selection then select the files in the garmin activities folder .

Top Bottom