Strava stats: Council Cycle Path Planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Councils typically appoint bike and town planning consultancies. They all operate on traffic data for their submissions. Strava is one source. From speed and time of day, they isolate various groups.

Council staff unlikely to know the details unless the proposal is controversial.

C

CrazyEyes

First post!

Anyway, i don't think Strava is a good indication of anything really. Half of the time it isn't even a good indicator of speed records as many are fudged. Besides, I'm a build it and they will come type. But perhaps they won't come if they keep installing those infernal barriers in some places which require you to stand your bike on its back wheel to gain access which causes the contents of your pannier bags to fall out and roll away.

the awkward barriers to stop motor cycles seem to being changed slowly to ones that let a straight handlebar bike through.
Hmmm. Not round here, they're not - far from it!
And 'changed slowly' really isn't good enough.
When they've not been changed, there needs to be a warning well before the problem barrier, so that a different route can be selected if necessary.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No but Strava will have figures on say 30% of all cyclists do use Strava so can extrapolate demand.
Whether or not non Strava cyclists ride differently or not has probably been researched.

I use strava, but only ever record "leisure" rides. When i commuted by bike I never recorded it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hmmm. Not round here, they're not - far from it!
And 'changed slowly' really isn't good enough.
When they've not been changed, there needs to be a warning well before the problem barrier, so that a different route can be selected if necessary.
The last few evil squeeze barriers are finally slowly going from around King's Lynn, even the fake "it's to stop motorbikes" ones which have injured cyclists (especially older e-bike users with wide/high handlebars) far more than they stopped motorcyclists, because they stopped no motorcyclists. Even the rare barriers set narrow enough to hinder a motorbike, that also blocked mobility scooters and larger wheelchairs, the motorcyclists either took it as a fun challenge to "walk" the bike through on its back wheel, or they simply powered through a drainage ditch in a way few cyclists ever could, or they used another completely unbarriered entrance, such as (in one example) the entrance from a car park! Which was not much help to cyclists because it was in a direction that wasn't helpful for many through journeys... only good if you wanted to get in and ride circles into the playing field.

I suggest that now is a good time to embarrass slower councils into action, by asking Public Questions at meetings about why they're being slow to enable access for all, and by asking if they're not worried about the threat to their funding from their failure to take such a simple measure to support Active Travel.

Even so, there should be a nationwide "removing the barriers" programme, backed by both funding and enforcement of the legal duty for councils not to fark over users with disabilities. Maybe you could write to your MP to suggest it? www.WriteToThem.com

And yes, where a barrier remains, it should be clearly signed at the last reasonable exit onto an alternative route. There are already standard signs for width restrictions:
sign-giving-order-no-vehicle-width.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No but Strava will have figures on say 30% of all cyclists do use Strava so can extrapolate demand.
Whether or not non Strava cyclists ride differently or not has probably been researched.
It has and they do. You cannot extrapolate from Strava to all cyclists. For an example local to me, Strava Heatmap suggests the A148 is as busy with cyclists as the almost-parallel NCN1, and that pretty much all the A and B roads inside the bypass are as busy as any cycleway. That is all utter nonsense.

Then there's the giggles of local MTB and TT tracks being very overemphasised on Strava, but they're easier to spot and dismiss.

Top Bottom