Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edrobbin

Regular
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm literally the latest of late people to the Strava party. Have been happy for years with keeping myself to myself on Garmin.

I've got the VeloViewer bolt on so as to look at all the segments i've ridden over the years - lots of smug, self satisfied back slapping over the last week or so - got some pretty decent positions on very popular segments. But, I've noticed a couple of my better ones look a bit odd.

There's one; "York Road blast off" between Westminster Bridge and Waterloo station where the KOM speed was 173.8mph - clearly a GPS glitch right - the map shows the guy straight-lining to the city and back. (My profile pic was on that segment!)

There's another one where the KOM was doing 70-odd mph - "Bridge St (up)" as you approach Westminster Bridge from P-square. You can't really do that on a bike can you?

How do these glitches happen & can't Strava run some sort of check to exclude cycle times over xx mph?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You can flag the rides and Strava will look at them and remove them

Brains

Legendary Member
I've have a regular Strava segment where the top possible speed even on a motorbike would not be over 25mph, yet there are regular cyclists who seem to do it at around 30mph. So whilst I think Strava a fairly accurate out in the country over long distances, those short 200m sprints in towns can vary enormously, also remember the majority of measurements are done on a smart phone in a pocket, not a Garmin on the bars

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Don't look at the leaderboards - the top times and speeds are complete BS, either done in a car or using Digital EPO (yes, it is a thing). I went up a hill on a group ride last week and had to push hard because I was on a fixie (most National Hill Climb championships are won on fixies because they're light and the fixed wheel makes it easier to keep the pedals going round). I managed about 8 mph up the steepest bit and was waiting ages at the top for the rest of the group to catch up. The fastest time on Strava is nearly 20 mph. Pantani in his most souped-up state couldn't have done that. 15mph, maybe.

Some people will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame.

Vegan1

Don't look at the leaderboards - the top times and speeds are complete BS, either done in a car or using Digital EPO (yes, it is a thing). I went up a hill on a group ride last week and had to push hard because I was on a fixie (most National Hill Climb championships are won on fixies because they're light and the fixed wheel makes it easier to keep the pedals going round). I managed about 8 mph up the steepest bit and was waiting ages at the top for the rest of the group to catch up. The fastest time on Strava is nearly 20 mph. Pantani in his most souped-up state couldn't have done that. 15mph, maybe.

Some people will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame.

How'd those lemons taste?

I've yet to come across a KOM where digital EPO was used, you can usually tell by looking at the power data which will have minute spikes in it. For sure some have been done in a car but I flag these.

I'm a proud owner of a few KOM's, none done using digital or normal EPO and none done in a car, just a decent w/kg.

Unless your bike is made with a non steel frame then it will not be lighter than a bike made from carbon fibre, unless you want to weigh it?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
How'd those lemons taste?

I've yet to come across a KOM where digital EPO was used, you can usually tell by looking at the power data which will have minute spikes in it. For sure some have been done in a car but I flag these.

I'm a proud owner of a few KOM's, none done using digital or normal EPO and none done in a car, just a decent w/kg.

Unless your bike is made with a non steel frame then it will not be lighter than a bike made from carbon fibre, unless you want to weight it?
Will weighting a non steel(alloy) frame make it lighter?

Top Bottom