Stray cat etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bit of an odd one. I have a sweet ginger mog who has been hanging around for a month whom I've been feeding. He is quite grubby looking, his fur is greasy and full of bits of dirt, and has clearly lost some weight (although my cat is looking lanky too so could be the weather), He has not been neutered and I very much doubt he's been chipped as not chopped (I had a feel around his neck for a chip to no avail) . He is very vocal and hungry when he shows up, now a daily occurrence

None of the neighbours I have spoken to know of his owners.

What should I do? I thought I could take him to my vet just to make sure he's not chipped and have him checked over. I put a paper collar on him with my phone number, no response but I suspect it didn't stay on long. If honest, I can't really be fussed sticking posters up around the place etc. I could call around local vets to see if anyone has reported him missing.

I am not in a position to adopt him as my cat is already miffed I am feeding him but a friend of a colleague would be keen to do so (is desperate for a ginger cat)

Any other thoughts?

Definitely worth the vet checking to see if he's chipped as a first port of call.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Here's the little man, imaginatively named Gingey. Sunning himself on the lawn

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 101

MrWill

Someone 4 doors down to me thought my now 12 yr old black cat was a stray. Started feeding it, and taking it in at night treating it as their own. Really really annoyed me. I kept thinking she was missing and going looking for her.

I got another kitten 2 yrs ago, shabby looking cat but playful. At around 6 months old it vanished. Put posters up and all sorts. Then after initially overhearing part of a conversation in my corner shop, it turned out someone on the other side of the estate took that in, kept it in their garage for a few weeks ''Waiting for the owner to come looking for it''. They got fed up of it, and took it to the RSPCA. So I went looking for it... they put it down after no one wanted it. It was meant to of been chipped by them, which I paid for...

Angry was not the word!

So really should put a proper collar on it with a message, to find out.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll get him checked for a chip. I just spoke to the vet's. But I would be very surprised if someone who is not responsible enough to get a cat neutered would get it chipped. I am sure there are breeding cats out there intact and chipped, otherwise there's no excuse IMO

This cat is evidently very hungry when he comes round and is very grubby (my cat was a rescue and in a similar state when I got him from Battersea)

How do I attach a message to a proper collar? I am not taking this cat into the house, there would be war!

Who was meant to have chipped your kitten? You should have received paperwork from Petlog (IIRC you have to complete something and return)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Way back when I was still living at my Mum's place, a stray cat just walked into the yard, and right up to the house, one day. I'm amazed she had the guts to do it, because it was always a very shy cat. We already had a cat, and she didn't think much of the intruder. The stray ended up staying with us for about another 10 years. Both cats fought with each other for that 10 years, like siblings who love each other but can't help disagreeing all the time, but when the stray finally died, our original cat actually missed her :cry:.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Gingey looks very content there.
I would say first port of call is the vet to scan for a chip and put a proper collar on him with a written message on it. If no chip and no message after a week or so, I'd think about homing him with your friend. You've made an effort.
We kept finding a cat and when we managed to get hold of him there was a tag that said something like "I'm not lost, I'm just out for a wander". After a week of him being in the garden, we rang the number on the back of the message and it turned out that he'd been out for a wander 12 miles from where he lived. The owners came PDQ to fetch him ^_^

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmm, I don't know! Harry has been seen to swipe Gingey....Harry also attacked my feet with much hissing when I first fed Gingey...and Harry is extremely sweet natured normally (in 4 years he has barely ever scratched me)!

Top Bottom