1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streamer fairing

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by davidwalton, 9 Mar 2008.

1. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

2. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I'm tempted to put one on my Hurricane, then I think of the hills I have.

3. OP
    OP
    davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

I didn't find it much different going uphill with it on. I did find that any head wind was far easier though, so in theory head wind going uphill should be a little easier as well. The fairing does not weigh that much, around 2K (including all fittings).

BTW- Also working on some brackets so light fittings can be placed either side of the fairing. Could possibly mount a mirror as well.

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

And I guess if you got a tail wind up hill, you'd be laughing! :evil:

5. OP
    OP
    davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

Won't be complaining about the wind as much then, no:thumbsup:

6. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

I've often thought that it would be great to fit a little telescopic mast to my Street Machine and then when there is a tailwind, put it up and run up a little sail.

7. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

If you could automate the whole process to happen at the touch of a button, that would be very impressive! Mast up, sail unfurls, *snap* catches wind, off you accelerate!

Saw a pic in Velo Vision a while back, of a couple who had fitted a sail to their tandem trike, said it helped quite a lot!

8. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Are you lot talking about bikes or the work of the devil?:biggrin:

9. OP
    OP
    davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

Recumbents, the Devil (DF bikes) don't come in to it :sad:

10. byegad

byegad Guru

I've been using a Streamer fairing for over a year. My average speeds on windy days are higher using it than without. It also keeps my feet and legs warm.

11. CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

Yes, it's great for warmth on cold days. And tailwinds are great. :-)

12. Kerher

Kerher New Member

Question... so if my standard speed is about 20 mph what kind of increase can I expect? About 5 mph maybe?

I am considering getting this fairing, but also want to play with a tail sock. Thought that I might try and make one out of corrugated paper or plastic (Card board box like material.) does a tail make a big difference?

13. byegad

byegad Guru

Well my standard speed is no where near 20mph. However down a hill on one of my regular runs I see around 35 mph with the fairing and just 30 without.

The thing is, the faster you are the greater the gain.

Tail fairings are supposed to give a greater gain in speed than a front fairing so If you are looking for speed and can only fit one fit the rear.

14. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I don't have a recumbent (yet) but when I saw these fairings I knew it would be beneficial into a head wind but my worry would be that you would get too hot and sweaty on normal days?

15. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Sorry - already be done!

Pterosail!