Streamer fairing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm tempted to put one on my Hurricane, then I think of the hills I have.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

BentMikey said:
I'm tempted to put one on my Hurricane, then I think of the hills I have.

I didn't find it much different going uphill with it on. I did find that any head wind was far easier though, so in theory head wind going uphill should be a little easier as well. The fairing does not weigh that much, around 2K (including all fittings).

BTW- Also working on some brackets so light fittings can be placed either side of the fairing. Could possibly mount a mirror as well.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Arch said:
And I guess if you got a tail wind up hill, you'd be laughing! :biggrin:

I've often thought that it would be great to fit a little telescopic mast to my Street Machine and then when there is a tailwind, put it up and run up a little sail.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Andy in Sig said:
I've often thought that it would be great to fit a little telescopic mast to my Street Machine and then when there is a tailwind, put it up and run up a little sail.

If you could automate the whole process to happen at the touch of a button, that would be very impressive! Mast up, sail unfurls, *snap* catches wind, off you accelerate!

Saw a pic in Velo Vision a while back, of a couple who had fitted a sail to their tandem trike, said it helped quite a lot!

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

rich p said:
Are you lot talking about bikes or the work of the devil?:biggrin:

Recumbents, the Devil (DF bikes) don't come in to it :sad:

byegad

Legendary Member
I've been using a Streamer fairing for over a year. My average speeds on windy days are higher using it than without. It also keeps my feet and legs warm.

Kerher

Question... so if my standard speed is about 20 mph what kind of increase can I expect? About 5 mph maybe?

I am considering getting this fairing, but also want to play with a tail sock. Thought that I might try and make one out of corrugated paper or plastic (Card board box like material.) does a tail make a big difference?

byegad

Legendary Member
Kerher said:
Question... so if my standard speed is about 20 mph what kind of increase can I expect? About 5 mph maybe?

I am considering getting this fairing, but also want to play with a tail sock. Thought that I might try and make one out of corrugated paper or plastic (Card board box like material.) does a tail make a big difference?

Well my standard speed is no where near 20mph. However down a hill on one of my regular runs I see around 35 mph with the fairing and just 30 without.

The thing is, the faster you are the greater the gain.

Tail fairings are supposed to give a greater gain in speed than a front fairing so If you are looking for speed and can only fit one fit the rear.

domtyler

Über Member
I don't have a recumbent (yet) but when I saw these fairings I knew it would be beneficial into a head wind but my worry would be that you would get too hot and sweaty on normal days?

Top Bottom